Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier\'s belt
PierPaolo,

Please check your PM, I have sent you a message.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
With the belt that Cesar posted we find also that the god Mars is pointing in the opposite direction to that which is shown by Pier Paolo on his belt.
Brian Stobbs
avete omnes

Dear Brian thank you very much!!! is good that I did not still the montage of the cingulum! I will put the plate whit mars in the good verse.thank you again!
PierPaolo siercovich
If we look very carefull at the picture Cesar posted there is also another feature that needs to be considered, the edgings of these plates appear to be separate pieces of silver wrapped onto the central picture plate.

This may be a reason to consider if these edgings have pieces which extend around the plate to a greater length, and if so can this extention become the backing for the plate. There is of course an interesting feature where the top edging piece has been put onto the plate in reverse to the bottom piece, it also becomes interesting to note that the vertical decorative edgings have larger round decoration domes than the upper and lower pieces.

It might suggest that 2 different size of punches were used to make these edge strips. There is also more evidence from other plates of this belt that the central pictures have been punched into the plates, for no 2 pictures are exact in their position on the plates. However when we look closer still it would appear that these central pictures themselves may well be separate to the plates and could this be explanation as to why no 2 pictures are central.

There is also that the decorative edges going around the frog pictures of Sol and Diana are also separate pieces for on the Diana frog disc this edge has snapped and indicates clearly it is separate to it's plate.
Brian Stobbs
I am actually working on a project related to 1st century A.D. Roman belts. Would anyone have the specific articles or books these Herculaneum and Pompeii belts are published in?
Quote:I am actually working on a project related to 1st century A.D. Roman belts. Would anyone have the specific articles or books these Herculaneum and Pompeii belts are published in?

Quote:the best pictures of that I've seen where in the Ancient Warfare article on that soldier.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,170 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. Gaius Julius Caesar 134 34,234 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  Herculaneum Soldiers Money Belt? marsvigilia 1 1,548 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius