Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Crassus text...
Anyone got a copy of Marcus Crassus, Millionaire by F. E. Adcock (1966)? Can't find it on Amazon ( .co.uk, .com, .de, .fr) Abebooks or Book Depository. Cry
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Nothing on Bookfinder, either.
If it doesn't show up there, it's doubtful you'll find it, IMO.

I'd suggest interlibrary loan. Do you have access to a good library system or a university library?
David J. Lohnes
Upper School English and Latin
Southside Christian School
Officium nos vocat!
I did some looking through some of my more obscure booksellers; nothing. That said, do you have access to an acedemic/university library? For example, I know Yale University has at least 2 copies in their library system. I get to Yale at least once a year, usually in April, for a conference, which includes library privileges. However, the conference needs a critical number to attend or it is cancelled.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I know that you're in Bristol, Ben, but it looks like the Roman Society has it in their joint library with the Hellenic Society.

http://catalogue.ulrls.lon.ac.uk/record=b2511771~S24

If you're a member of the Roman Society it should be easy to get. If not, you might need to do some research on the best way to proceed with the loan.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I was just thinking I'd have to go to the British Library, or a similar institute, and then I was bowled over by all of your fast responses. I will have to head up to London - unless a library in Bristol has a copy. Thanks very much!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
Adcock's Marcus Crassus, Millionaire is the least of the Crassus biographies. It's a small paperback, only about 60 pages long, without much of substance. Marshall's Crassus: A Political Biography and Ward's Marcus Crassus and the Late Roman Republic are really all you need, perhaps with Gruen's insightful comments on Crassus in The Last Generation of the Roman Republic.

Gregg
Thanks for the post, Gregg. I had noted the Marshall and Ward books already, but hadn't heard of the comments by Gruen. More texts to wade through... Big Grin (

www.benkane.net
Quote:I was just thinking I'd have to go to the British Library, or a similar institute, and then I was bowled over by all of your fast responses. I will have to head up to London - unless a library in Bristol has a copy. Thanks very much!

Well you're in luck, as it's in Bristol University Library (for whom I worked for a couple of years after leaving school!). Most university libraries in the UK will give you some sort of reading access for free upon provision of the customary vast amounts of documentation proving you're not a terrorist, money-launderer, or pervert ('cos bad guys never forge that stuff ;-) ) ) so worth popping in and asking them. Borrowing rights might even be had for a fee (which should be tax deductible - check with your accountant). I have reading access to Newcastle which is closer than the Joint LIbrary (in somewhere called 'London') or my alma mater, Sheffield (which I think makes its graduates pay now, O tempora, O mores...).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
ParthianBow:23euxgd9 Wrote:Most university libraries in the UK will give you some sort of reading access for free upon provision of the customary vast amounts of documentation proving you're not a terrorist, money-launderer, or pervert ('cos bad guys never forge that stuff ;-) ) )

I think I should be OK then! :mrgreen: Thanks, Mike!

www.benkane.net