Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Re supposed Boudican fire South of Thames

It is codswallop!

Quote:It is in one of these pits – just yards from passageways used by thousands of commuters each day [At London Bridge station] – where the team has discovered the remains of one of the earliest buildings in Roman Southwark. Dendrochronological analysis shows that the 17 timber piles were made from trees felled between AD 59 and AD 83.

Not a single mention of burning ... timbers throughout the Boudican period and no burnt layer between 59-83AD
Remains of Roman Southwark found below London Bridge Station

(09-13-2022, 04:49 PM)Owein Walker Wrote: This feels like I'm trying to help you, but you aren't listening. You either don't want to know or choose to ignore them, but I don't understand why. I assume you know what you know and that's final, but if that's the case then I'd expect you to have a final battlefield in mind ,so where is it?

I was going to mention the Fosse Way, but you are nowhere near there and have ignored it completely until now, so let's move on.

Someone on here gave some plausible evidence for somewhere .. near I think it was Aylesbury ... Tring rings a bell (LOL) ... however, since I've not looked at any sites in the area, I'm too far away to visit and look and I don't don't know where they got the battlefield evidence I don't want to push any particular site... and frankly it was a long time ago and there have been so many sites ... and I got confused, I was hoping that if I kept posting stuff that eventually they would pop up.

However, there are numerous valleys along the Chilterns which would fit a general movement from around Dorchester heading toward the Iceni

Also, ... to be frank ... I want whoever found the site to take the credit ... if as I seem to remember it had finds indicative of a Roman battle site and was the right size for the battle they deserve the credit. And, maybe there were more than one site?

And maybe it wasn't the Chilterns. Starting at Dorchester, it might be possible to suggest a more northern route ... perhaps linking up with the Ninth ... but I've forgotten where they are supposed to be ... and I've forgotten where someone suggested battle sites.

But, it is also possible to suggest that Boudica has taken over St.Albans, but again, I think others are far better placed to know whether the evidence supports that ... and I would bow to their better knowledge.

Also, I'm not that clear on where the Boudican side would be ... so, I don't know how Suetonius goes from the defensive line of the Thames, to one where he is forcing Boudica's hand to engage him in battle at a site of Suetonius' choosing.

There are some incredible experts here ... I am only an expert on fording the Thames**, the Mons Graupius campaign and with a dabbling interest in Roman walls. All I have done, is to say that the Thames cannot be ignored, and the military logic them pushes Suetonius to the west and toward Calleva as his seat of war. But ... it isn't much, because we end up heading toward Watling st where it crosses the Chilterns. So, it's a long way around to get to the same place.

Unfortunately, there are no line of forts to mark Suetonius' campaign as there is in the Agricolan campaign. From (approx) Dorchester NE toward the Iceni is a land advance ... which seems like any other Roman campaign and there are better experts than me on how that might go.

**To put it in context, I have forded every major river from the Forth to the Spey on the Agricolan advance to Mons Graupius including the Clyde and Tay. I have also forded numerous small rivers and large rivers such as the Tyne at Corbridge. I have also tracked several Roman roads, looking for evidence of Fords and studied in detail about a dozen rivers including the Tiber (which is perhaps fordable at Rome in exceptional circumstances - although the hydrology is complex - and there is evidence it was different at the time of Rome and that might have made it temporally fordable)
(09-13-2022, 04:49 PM)Owein Walker Wrote: And all this changes nothing.
Both north and south of the Thames were unified by Cunobellinus, son of Tasciovanus around 20AD.
Coins minted in Camulodunum.

I'm not sure of the importance, but let's give it a whirl as it's interesting.

I was trying to work out what evidence you have. By their very use as a means of exchange, coins get moved about, so I was wondering whether it could be explained by the normal movement of coins. The Britannica article on Cunobelinus says:
Quote:Cunobelinus succeeded his father, Tasciovanus, as chief of the Catuvellauni, a tribe centred north of what is now London. Tasciovanus’s capital was Verlamio, above the later Roman site of Verulamium (modern St. Albans). Either shortly before or shortly after his accession, Cunobelinus conquered the territory of the Trinovantes, in modern Essex. He made Camulodunum (modern Colchester) his capital and the seat of his mint. The many surviving coins from the mint are stamped with Latin slogans and figures from mythology. His power and influence were so extensively felt in Britain that the Roman biographer Suetonius referred to him as Britannorum rex (“King of the Britons”) in his life of the emperor Caligula.

Looking for the source of this, I found a short mention in:
Quote: All that he accomplished was to receive the surrender of Adminius, son of Cynobellinus king of the Britons, who had been banished by his father and had deserted to the Romans with a small force; yet as if the entire island had submitted to him, he sent a grandiloquent letter to Rome, commanding the couriers who carried it to ride in their post-chais

Latin Suet. Cal. 44.2

English

Looking through Wokepedia on the Trinovantes all I found was this:

Quote:For a brief period c. 10 BC Tasciovanus of the Catuvellauni issued coins from Camulodunum, suggesting that he conquered the Trinovantes, but he was soon forced to withdraw, perhaps as a result of pressure from the Romans, as his later coins no longer bear the mark "Rex", and Addedomarus was restored.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by MonsGraupius - 09-13-2022, 05:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,508 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex