Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
(08-11-2019, 09:16 PM)John1 Wrote: an entirely unreasonable and offensive statement on the thread

You seem to have your offence bar set very low today! But I wasn't even referring specifically to your ideas - I just meant that Paulinus would have had to use the ground available wherever he happened to be - he was 'compelled, contrary to his judgment' to fight the battle (Dio), so he didn't have loads of time to select his perfect spot.

(08-11-2019, 09:16 PM)John1 Wrote: it's garrison alerted as it had been prepared in part as a central depot in the preceding years.

Both garrison and 'depot' are your own hypotheses though...

(08-11-2019, 09:16 PM)John1 Wrote: Find some points that Tring outguns CS on, I haven't found any yet but then again I'm not looking.

Isn't this what we have been discussing here for over nine years now?

(08-11-2019, 09:16 PM)John1 Wrote: is hawthorn such a challenge

I was thinking more of this sort of thing. Granted, I have not attempted to forge through it while outrunning groundsmen and gamekeepers...

(pic from Streetview, about 800 yards from New Ground)

(08-11-2019, 09:16 PM)John1 Wrote: your should apply a loose version of the Kaye test, is there a credible source of water? there is at CS with the ironstone spring line.

New Ground appeared very high on Steve Kaye's list of sites, as did Tring Station I think.

If we are including springs then the north-western escarpment of the Chilterns has dozens of them. There are at least three around Dunstable.
Nathan Ross
John1 Wrote:So how does that differ from supporting Nathan or Deryk?

It's simple, really. I think that the area makes sense strategically but I have not decided on a specific site yet. I will consider Nathan and Deryk's suggestions on the ground and perhaps come up with some ideas of my own and then post my conclusions.

John1 Wrote:The visits make this game a far richer experience, enjoy it,

Absolutely. I intend to.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
offence bar - just egging you on..... any bar very welcome today.

Garrison and depot - yeah mine but it's good isn't it..... well ok I nicked the idea from this place; 
https://historicengland.org.uk/services-...n-bec-7257

Picture - this is edge vegetation where the light can get to the plants, the deeper woods wouldn't have this kind of growth under the main canopy

Kaye test - sounds like you passed that one then
I've sure you've all been looking at topographic-map.com for months and years, but it's new to me: coloured topographic mapping of the UK, overlaid on a street map.

Here's New Ground, for example. And here's Church Stowe.

Endless fun! I've already found about three new sites that look very interesting... [Image: smile.png]
Nathan Ross
https://vimeo.com/316624521 noted for reference only, not for discussion here..... (edited in response to the post below)
John1 Wrote:https://vimeo.com/316624521

Oh dear. I think this may turn this thread into what is happening on RAT Facebook, which is discussing movies about the Romans. As to where the historical battle took place, I think you guys are about 50 posts from finding the answer. So keep up the good work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 2,407 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex