Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
I think the Iceni and Trinobantes (and Others?) could only have been a 'loose coalition', on this occasion, formed together with a strategy to avenge the assault upon Boudica and the removal of Trinobantes land for the Romans to found Colchester. There may have been much dis-agreement about tactics. Unlike Roman military discipline, there was probably only a loose chain of command cascading from Boudica, or others,( which eventually showed up in the later battle). Especially when, for example, Colchester was sacked. The Trinobantes would, I think have considered the booty (or the better share of it) to be their property. Whether or not there was some agreement to the contrary, everyone would have wanted to get home with their share to prevent it falling back into Roman, or one of their partners' hands!. And the same for London and Verulamium presumably.

Regarding the crossing of the Thames at London or Staines. I think similar rationale would apply to both B and SP. That the other force might destroy it.
If SP crossed first he would then be marooned on the South side, with little control of events in the rest of the country, especially as B was following him. If B crossed, following SP (with a sizeable proportion of the ' coalition ' population in her wake), she would be unable to retreat, or return quickly to defend East Anglia, should other Legions decide to attack it. The Thames next becomes fordable at Wallingford

Similarly,unless trying to gather other forces, how far North would B be prepared to go before her 'wagon train' began to disintegrate? Presumably she always had to consider how to get her followers home. Taking possible sites into account.
Kings Norton/ Mancetter etc., too far North. Seem to have been discredited.
Church Stowe. Possibly return via the navigable Nene Valley, but what about the 'extremity of the plain'?Please see next paragraph.
Paulersbury. Unlikely
Dunstable/ Tring. Possibly, especially as at the crossing of the Icknield Way
Staines/ Virginia Water and West. Inaccessible or wrong terrain.

Regarding the battle site. Tacitus says 'and so sure of victory they placed their wagons at the extremity of the plain where they might survey the scene of action'. How far out would this be to accommodate, maybe 100,000 people? 2 Miles?
Two thoughts come to mind
1. This feels to me very much like a set- piece of Theatre, as though acted in an Amphitheatre
2. If you give weight to the rest of T's commentary, what does 'extremity of the plain' mean, and what does it say about the terrain of the site? Also, what different terrain might have been beyond the extremity?

Conclusion. Regrettably, I have ruled out the burning of Southwark, Staines or Silchester, (even St Albans?) which may have occurred on another occasion, or as a sideshow. I believe the site may be somewhere North of the Thames, in an arc roughly formed between the un- named road between Silchester and Towceser and Watling Street, North as far as Bannaventa. This, of course, includes much of The Ridgeway/ Icknield Way and Akeman Street.

If pressed, I would plump for sites close to StAlbans,
Dunstable looks promising, although I have nor seen the evidence, and is on The Icknield Way (home)
Tring is also on the Icknield way, but seems to have the weakness that Tacitus says 'He (S) knew the enemy had no approach but in front'.
Church Stowe, for me, has the 'extremity of the plain' problem and is more remote.
Davidus

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by davidscotti - 09-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,493 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex