Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii in pictures
just found this excellent website and thought it was worth mentioning here for all of us, who are unable to visit Pompeii.
[url:2fa1l2pt]http://pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/index.htm[/url]

this website contains uncountable pictures of almost all of Pompeii. Seems like a good one to browse if you can't go there yourself. Laudes for the people for setting up such a picture library. Easy to navigate both by name and map Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen.

That is a very interesting link you have given what I find sad is the way that one cannot now go onto those steps that lead to the top of the Aphitheatre.
It's not as it was many years ago when I was there for I was able to go to the top that way, what I wonder now about those steps is were they the only way to the top to be used by the lower class of people going to the games.
Brian Stobbs
those steps weren't open to the public when I was there some years ago. Seems they at least try to save that structure a bit by closing it for the public (and of course for the sake of safety). Same goes with other structures. When my mother visited the pont du guard in France as a kid, she was allowed on the upper level (where the actual aquaduct is). When I was a small boy we were allowed only on the first and second story. Some years later only the first story and last time I visited it we were not even allowed on the original structure. Another bridge was constructed just next to it Sad

Anyway, about those stairs. I just checked with the maps I've of the amphitheatre of Pompeii. The Ima cavea was accesible from a passage under the cavea. The main entrance of the 'normal' public was indeed from the top of the building, using those staircases on the outside of the building.
ALA I BATAVORUM