Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for a series of Novels (again)
I don't want to start some polemic, but isn't the whole Alesia, Brittons, Gauls, Germanics, Caesar, Augustus, Marcus Aurelius, Commodus etc, quite overdone by now? As a reader I really feel no wish to read yet another book covering the same subjects, regions of the Empire and the usual suspects all over again. I understand that these themes are quite popular, specially for the anglo-saxon world, but can't we get something else by now? Maybe the Dacian Wars, or the republican period in Iberia?

Don't take this personaly, but I would be quite ready to read something fresh instead of the same things recycled yet again.
Pedro Pereira
I have a bit of a perspective on this, not least because I've written the first three books in what's turning into a series covering the reigns of Commodus and (after the struggle for power of 193 - 197ad) Serverus. I think the Caeserian period is utterly saturated, whereas there isn't much fiction set in the reign of Marcus Aurelius. I'd go for the Marcomannic wars if I were you.

BUT (you might have guessed it's a big one), if you want to get published you must have a strong protagonist that your potential agent and pubisher will fall in love with at first sight - and I mean in the first few pages. If they do, they'll judge that the book buying public will do the same thing, and make their purchase of your book a profitable one. I wouldn't be swapping pov at the start of every chapter if you want to get published. If it's purely for your own entertainment then that's not such a problem, but if you'd like to see the book in print on the shelf, make some money, settle down to write full time and all that other fantasy stuff that writers dream about, you need one man that your series can follow. By all means cone up with all sorts of strong characters to put around him, but ignore that advice and I think you'll find it hard to place the book commercially.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Tony.
I've just read your first book in the series about about tribulus. Like it a lot!
Excellent advice on point of view, although personnally I will live with it if an author does it in a good story, as I am fairly laid back, but it can be a major irritation. It can also help to add to the tension if done right, but usually, I get a bit miffed... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for that. Book two's out at the end of the month, hope you like that too.

As for the pov thing, I've read some great books where the author's got away with that trick but, critically, they've either been very good writers indeed or already established and thus allowed to play those games. It's a good debut novelist that would get away with it in a section of the market so monstrously crowded and (in my opinion) quite conservative in approach.
You read my mind...I was going to ask that very question next! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Lorenzo - just to add a different point of view to Tony's: while multiple POVs are obviously not as common, I wouldn't be put off writing in that style if that's what your heart is set on. If the stories of the characters are all interlinked, and the story moves along well in that manner, then what's the problem? I agree that the characters need to be strong to carry it off, but it can work. My first 3 novels are about 4 main characters, and the POV changes all the time. It seems to work for me - two published, and the the third one out this summer. Confusedhock: I've continued the trend with my new trilogy as well...
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Like I said. 'very good authors indeed'! I dream of a US release...I'd love to see it on my local Walmart in South Carolina (Two Notch Road, book department full of awful American stuff).
:oops: Big Grin Thanks, Tony! I've heard great things about your first novel. Naturally, I have a copy - but haven't yet read it yet. Looking forward to it a lot. (FYI, my first novel, The Centurion of the First, which never made the light of day - as it was not great - is about an auxiliary unit on Hadrian's Wall in the year 181 AD. I researched the area & time for about 2 years, and even walked solo from Onnum to Trimontium (Melrose) along the Roman road, rough camping along the way. Very atmospheric, esp. places like Bremenium. I presume you've done all that too?) I wasn't surprised when someone (you!) picked the time frame for a Roman novel. Congrats on reaching the top ten on your release last year, btw. Amazing achievement.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Blimey - so close to losing my exclusive on the year 181ad! I'm impressed by the depth of your research too, I was always too busy with 'the career' to go to quite those depths - and thank god for the internet - although I will admit to quite a lot of location hunting, especially for book two. You just have to walk the ground...but I'll admit that we drove the road to Trimontium in a rented 4x4 on the way to doing the walking!

Anyway, before this turns into an authors convention, one last word of encouragement before I go back to working out how to get Marcus out of his latest bind. Lorenzo, whether you write in the first or third person, one protagomist or a whole cast of 'em, just enjoy your writing and go for it. And as Ben's first book (and more than one of my own) testify, don't get put off. Persevere, and make it happen for you.

Good luck.
Quote:I don't want to start some polemic, but isn't the whole Alesia, Brittons, Gauls, Germanics, Caesar, Augustus, Marcus Aurelius, Commodus etc, quite overdone by now? As a reader I really feel no wish to read yet another book covering the same subjects, regions of the Empire and the usual suspects all over again. I understand that these themes are quite popular, specially for the anglo-saxon world, but can't we get something else by now? Maybe the Dacian Wars, or the republican period in Iberia?

Don't take this personaly, but I would be quite ready to read something fresh instead of the same things recycled yet again.

I'm actually starting to plan something on the Dacian wars now. Initially I wasn't going to consider it, but your right, there's nothing based on this period that I've found, everything is either on Caesar, Ausgustus, Roman Britain and Aurelius/Commodus. I want this book to be quite unique. It's going to be hard but I'm really going to commit myself.

My legion of choice will most probably be Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix. I'm planning it already (as I have to have compleed it by next year). I will probably be attempting to incorporate some scenes from Trajan's column into my work e.g. the German auxiliaries' battle with the Dacians and Sarmatians, the construction of the fort and the torture of Roman prisoners. It's going to be pretty brutal too, not over the top though. Hopefully everything will go well. I will begin writing it around the 11th of June!

I'm sorry for the late reply, guys, I've been away in Switzerland and on top of that I had to do ALOT of work when I got back.
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F
Quote: BUT (you might have guessed it's a big one), if you want to get published you must have a strong protagonist that your potential agent and pubisher will fall in love with at first sight - and I mean in the first few pages. If they do, they'll judge that the book buying public will do the same thing, and make their purchase of your book a profitable one. I wouldn't be swapping pov at the start of every chapter if you want to get published. If it's purely for your own entertainment then that's not such a problem, but if you'd like to see the book in print on the shelf, make some money, settle down to write full time and all that other fantasy stuff that writers dream about, you need one man that your series can follow. By all means cone up with all sorts of strong characters to put around him, but ignore that advice and I think you'll find it hard to place the book commercially.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Tony.

Thanks a lot for the advice, Tony =)

I havn't thought of publihing it really. I've actually chosen to do it for a project. I've always wanted to write a book set in ancient times, it's been a BIG passion of mine for a considerable ammount of time. Believe it or not, but my mother told me that one of the first words in my vocabulary was "Romani"!!! (it must have caught on from my grand father) I've been hooked since a young age Smile and this is the way that I want to show my appreciation for my interests. I've always wanted to recreate Rome in my own way (obviously as accurate as possible). But perhaps in the future I could try and modify the work and get it published as I do want to be a writer.

Grazie mille,

Lorenzo

Quote:Lorenzo, whether you write in the first or third person, one protagomist or a whole cast of 'em, just enjoy your writing and go for it. And as Ben's first book (and more than one of my own) testify, don't get put off. Persevere, and make it happen for you.

Good luck.

I'll be writing in the third person. I think that way it'll facilitate seeing some things form the others' point of view. I'm writing character biographies - I think they'll help a lot. But I'm still having a bitof trouble actually structuring the novel.

Quote:I'm actually starting to plan something on the Dacian wars now. Initially I wasn't going to consider it, but your right, there's nothing based on this period that I've found, everything is either on Caesar, Ausgustus, Roman Britain and Aurelius/Commodus. I want this book to be quite unique. It's going to be hard but I'm really going to commit myself.

My legion of choice will most probably be Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix. I'm planning it already (as I have to have compleed it by next year). I will probably be attempting to inorporate some scenes from Trajan's column into my work e.g. the German auxiliaries' battle with the Dacians and Sarmatians, the construction of the fort and the torture of Roman prisoners. It's going to be pretty brutal too, not over the top though. Hopefully everything will go well. I will begin writing it around the 11th of June!

I'm sorry for the late reply, guys, I've been away in Switzerland and on top of that I had to do ALOT of work when I got back.
Oh, that's pretty nice! Best of lucks for your project; I'll certainly await this one with great anticipaion!
Pedro Pereira
Quote:My legion of choice will most probably be Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix.
I don't know if this is important to you, but the Thirtieth Legion was not -- ever, as far as I know -- called Traiana! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
LvpvsRomanvs:1kwhb1hy Wrote:My legion of choice will most probably be Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix.
I don't know if this is important to you, but the Thirtieth Legion was not -- ever, as far as I know -- called Traiana! Smile

Oh, my mistake :oops: , I was probably thinking of the Second Traiana Fortis at the same time I was writing that. I think I'll need to buy some more coffee...

But yes, my legion of choice is Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix.