Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Avars
My apologise it was not first hand Priscus but rather quoted in exept by Constantine Porphygenetos ,I will try to hunt down the JSTOR article that I found it in ,a stupidly made some notes ,without saving the page Confusedhock:
Arran
Here's Dindorf's edition from 1870 of Priscus Panites. The fragments from De Legationibus were apparently written by Porphyrogenitus, so I guess you eventually refer to this Priscus and not to Maurice's general.

Priscus' account is primarily about Attila's Huns. There is one reference to Avars in the so-called fragment 30 (perhaps some others, but of this one I know of), however I'd very careful with it. Priscus wrote in the 5th century, while the bulk of our sources on Avars are from mid 6th century and later, so it may well be a later interpolation by the copyists working for Porphyrogenitus' library (or even later copyists).
Drago?
Thank you very much ,my friend . Do you think it is even possible to identify specific military units by name ? that might of played a part at say Tisza for example ?
Arran
I don't have time now to check all the relevant sources, but I don't think there is much mentioned but some titles such as qagan, tarqan, perhaps zhupan, which might have had also a military dimension.

However here's Theophylact's account of that battle you mentioned (Whitby's translation), book VIII, 2.10-3.10:

Then, since the barbarians were impatient for battle, on the fourth day in the morning Priscus ordered the Romans to arm; having organized his dispositions as best he could in three divisions, he initiated military operations.
And so the Romans laid aside their bows and combated the barbarians at close quarters with their spears. The Avars had equipped their disposition in fifteen companies; the Romans had arranged their disposition in a single conjunction, both from fear about the camp and so as to fight in square formation; hence they provided security for the camp. The battle continued in progress for many hours; but as the sun sank the battle also sank with it, and this turn of the battle was favourable to the Romans: although three hundred Romans were killed, four thousand of the Avars perished. So when night had come the Romans returned to the camp.
On the third day the barbarian organized another battle. And so Priscus marshalled his army as well as possible, and in the morning moved to the engagement. Then he strictly marshalled three forces for the Romans. Next he firmly committed the wings to split apart at once and thus admit the Avars, so that the barbarians would be cooped up in the middle as the forces surrounded the cavity, and would fall into unexpected disasters. Then in such a manner the barbarians were outgeneralled and nine thousand of the opposing enemy force were slain. As the sun sank the victors returned to the rampart. On the tenth day the general heard that the barbarian had again arrived for an engagement; when day grew light, he equipped the Romans, drew them up in good order, and moved to battle. And so Priscus mobilized his forces in three divisions again, whereas the barbarian moved against Priscus after forming a single division. And so Priscus occupied the advantageous land in the locality and, having the might of the wind as assistant, he clashed with the Avars from a height and with his two wings outfought the enemy. Since a swamp was spread below that locality, he drove the barbarian towards the waters. For this reason the barbarians were beaten back amidst the shallows, had the ill fortune to confront the swamp, and drowned most horribly. Then, after a great multitude had perished in this swamp and the Chagan's sons were drowned there, Priscus procured the most glorious victory. In this battle then, fifteen thousand barbarians were annihilated.
And so the Chagan, who survived at great peril, came to the river Tissus; on the thirtieth day the barbarian assembled a force. When he took the initiative for a fourth battle and the Roman general had heard of this, Priscus encamped at the river Tissus. Accordingly, a day for battle between the two forces was determined; when the appointed time had come, at the first hour Priscus marshalled his forces in inverse order, placing the left contingent on the right and the centre on the left. The barbarian deployed for battle in twelve companies. And so the Romans endured the conflict with greater heroism; then they outfought the barbarian by their resolution, and a very large number of the enemy perished in this battle as well. Then the Roman army won this even more glorious crown of victory.
Drago?