Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIL 11
This is very much an off chance, but does anyone out there have access to the complete Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum? I very much need the full text of CIL XI, 705. It is not included in the Heidelburg or F.A.G. online databanks. I will be unable to the set I use at Harvard for over a month.<br>
<br>
Any help would be very much appreciated.<br>
<br>
Best,<br>
John Hartwell <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The text of <i> CIL</i> XI, 705 (regio VIII, Bononia):<br>
<br>
D M<br>
AUR.GALLI.TRIB<br>
LEG.VII.CL.QUI.IN<br>
BELLO.THRACICO<br>
ACIE.DESIDERATUS<br>
FUIT.VIXIT.AN.XL.<br>
AUR.AMMA.CONIU<br>
GI.KARISSIMO.CUM<br>
GALLITA.FILIA.ET.LAE<br>
TA.SOCERA.NATIONIS<br>
UTRIUSQUE.DARDANIAE<br>
TITULUM.POSUERUNT<br>
<br>
D(is) M(anibus) | Aur(elio) Galli(o) trib(uno) | leg(ionis) VII Cl(audia) qui in bello Thracico | acie desideratus | fuit vixit an(nos) XL | Aur(elia) Amma con | iugi karissiomo cum | Gallita filia et Lae | ta socera nationis | utriusque Dardaniae | titulum posuerunt<br>
<br>
'To the spirits of the departed. To Aurelius Gallius, tribune of <i> legio</i> VII <i> Claudia</i> who has been lost in the battleline in the thracian war. He has lived 40 years. Aurelia Amma with Gallita their daugther and Laeta, mother-in-law, of both the Dardanian nations have erected this memorial to her dearest husband.'<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
E EM I just knew Sander would come through!<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
If anyone had it I thought it would be you, Sander. Many thanks. I'm working on a history of Legio VII Claudia just now, & had seen several references to this inscription, but none with a transcription. I suspect it refers to early fighting between forces of Septimus Severus and Pescennius Niger west of Byzantium.<br>
<br>
Best,<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>