Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Legionary of the Marcomannic Wars.
Quote:I'll be looking forward to seeing it too Radka.
As an added couple of notes to what Paul has said, to be on the safe side it may be better to choose femenalia than full length trousers. Full length trousers may well have been worn by legionary soldiers by that time but we cannot be sure, whereas we *can* be sure that femenalia were being worn by soldiers by that time.
As to your pugio, pugiones do not seem to have been as common during the Antonine period as they were a century before, but nevertheless they undoubtedly existed. If you do decide to carry a pugio, try to get one which features a crescentic pommel expansion (with the two points pointing upward) and a frame type sheath (there is no evidence for type 'A' and 'B' sheaths remaining in use past the late first century AD). If you have to get one made try to get it modelled on these examples. The grip plate comes from the Antonine period fort at Bar Hill and the blade and sheath from Tuchyna may actually date from the Marcomannic wars.
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p239 ... fig080.png
The dagger sheath appears to be similar in style to the third century examples from Kunzing and other sites, although as you will note from the previous picture it should also feature a back plate as well. It would, of course have been made of iron.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p239 ... fig104.png
Crispvs

Crispus and (Paul too),

A few questions about 3rd century pugiones if I may...

In Simon James book on the Dura finds he illustrates 4 copper alloy plates from dagger scabbards (nos. 585-588). Are they from pugio scabbards of the frame type that you illustrate, or some other, and if they are from the frame type, how would they be applied? Or is the word "dagger" not referring to pugios at all?

Paul mentions that pugios would have been suspended from a baldric. How would that work? I have visions of crossed baldric straps looking rather like Pancho Villa :wink: , which I haven't noticed before.

Any light you might be able to shed on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Best,

Gaius
L.E. Pearson

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Legionary of the Marcomannic Wars. - by Ross Cowan - 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Re: A Legionary of the Marcomannic Wars. - by Ross Cowan - 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Re: A Legionary of the Marcomannic Wars. - by gaiusseptimiuslucianus - 09-05-2010, 03:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marcus\' levy during the Marcomannic Wars Epictetus 8 2,712 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Senior Officers of the Marcomannic Wars MVinc 17 4,612 01-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Roman legions of the Second Marcomannic War Fabrício Menardi 0 1,336 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Fabrício Menardi