Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mavors series
Jenny, while browsing the older threads, I found your MAVORS list – to which I can give here a few additions, corrections and updating. By the way, after years of trying to guess what MAVORS was the abbreviation for, I finally found out that it is the older latin form of Mars...<br>
<br>
MAVORS – the indispensable series of compilations of papers by various renowned Roman army scholars.<br>
<br>
Volume I: Speidel, M.P.: Roman Army Studies [Vol. 1]. Amsterdam (Gieben) 1984; xii, 436 pp., cloth/dj. Out of print!<br>
Volume II: Gilliam, J.F.: Roman Army Papers. Amsterdam (Gieben) 1986; 471 pp., cloth/dj. 95,00 Euros.<br>
Volume III: Alföldy, G.: Römische Heeresgeschichte. Beiträge 1962-1985. Amsterdam (Gieben) 1987; 587 pp., cloth/dj. 110,00 Euros.<br>
Volume IV: Birley, E.: The Roman Army. Papers 1929-1986. Amsterdam (Gieben) 1988; x, 457 pp., cloth/dj. 110,00 Euros.<br>
Volume V: Forni, G.: Esercito e marina di Roma anticha. Raccolta di contributi. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1992; 455 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 85,00 Euros.<br>
Volume VI: Devijver, H.: The Equestrian Officers of the Roman Imperial Army [Vol. 1]. Amsterdam (Gieben) 1989; xii, 474 pp., cloth/dj. 95,00 Euros.<br>
Volume VII: Mócsy, A.: Pannonien und das römische Heer. Ausgewählte Aufsätze. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1992; 272 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 61,00 Euros.<br>
Volume VIII: Speidel, M.P.: Roman Army Studies [Vol. 2]. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1992, 430 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 101,00 Euros.<br>
Volume IX: Devijver, H.: The Equestrian Officers of the Roman Imperial Army [Vol. 2]. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1992; 354 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 85,00 Euros.<br>
Volume X: Breeze, D.J. & Dobson, B.: Roman Officers and Frontiers. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1993; 631 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 147,00 Euros.<br>
Volume XI: Baatz, D.: Bauten und Katapulte des römischen Heeres. Stuttgart (Steiner) 1994; 312 pp., hardbound, printed boards. Out of print!<br>
Volume XII: Keppie, L.: Legions and Veterans. Roman Army Papers 1971-2000. Stuttgart (Steiner) 2000; 339 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 83,00 Euros.<br>
Volume XIII: Stoll, O.: Römisches Heer und Gesellschaft. Gesammelte Beiträge 1991-1999. Stuttgart (Steiner) 2001; 522 pp., hardbound, printed boards. 101,00 Euros.<br>
<br>
All Gieben volumes seem to be in print (see www.tte.nl/gieben) – except, as we all know, Speidel’s RAS I. Oxbow has only the Birley volume, though - for GBP 57,50!.<br>
<br>
Of the Steiner volumes, Oxbow features only the recent volumes XII (Keppie; GBP 62,50) and XIII (Stoll; GBP 72,50), but in the german catalogue of books in print (see www.vlb.de - click on "Profisuche" - enter only "Mavors" where it says "Reihentitel") they have all except the one by Baatz, including all ISBNs. Strange enough: on the homepage of the Steiner Verlag (see www.steiner-verlag.de) I don't find any other Mavors volumes than again XII and XIII.<br>
<br>
So what does this all teach us? Speidel I and Baatz are definitely out of print, the rest should be available - at least here in Germany, and we do have the better prices, too<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umagisternavis.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Magister Navis</A> at: 1/14/02 3:21:09 am<br></i>
Thanks for the update, Martin. So much to do in the RA.com site!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Salve,<br>
<br>
Here are links to lists of the contents of some of the volumes in the series.<br>
<br>
M.P. Speidel, <i> Roman army studies I</i><br>
J.F.Gilliam, <i> Roman army papers</i><br>
G. Alfoeldy, <i> Roemische Heeresgeschichte</i><br>
E. Birley, <i> The Roman army. Papers 1929-1986</i><br>
M.P. Speidel, <i> Roman army studies II</i><br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Oxbow has the Devijver (vol1), Alföldy and Gilliam volumes on sale: GBP 29,95 each. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 2/24/02 8:48:09 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MAVORS Institute richsc 1 1,470 09-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis