Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some guidance
OK I am new to the site and need some direction........I am trying to find out a few things but in no particular order:

1.What would be a few of the easier things /items of a roman soldier to try to make myself?(more or less for personal display or use someday if I ever try re-enacting)
I thought about the scutum or pilon but have no idea about where to even begin?
2.are there any groups of re-enactors in Massachusetts USA?
3.as far as the tunic or pants that I see people wearing --are these made special and of waht material ?Some pictures seem to show waht appears to be sweatpants etc.

I will try to investigate the site a lot more-I know some of these answers may be there but I need a bit of direction to even navigate the site....

thanx
pax et bonum tibi
Gaivs Lvcilivs Longvs
John Lew czyk
Hi,

welocme on RAT.

First, about items to make. That depents on what kind of work you're thinking off. Sewing? Start with making a tunic, a bag, a cape. Metalwork? You could try a belt. Wood, painting, etc: Shield. Anyway, probably one of the best starts would be the website of the 20th legion re-enactment group of Matt Amt. ([url:3sbowafw]http://www.larp.com/legioxx/[/url] Check for the legionairys handbook.

@tunics. Baiscally you could go with either wool or linnen for a basic military tunic. Again, the above site gives some ideas on patterning. Basically there are some different types and that also depents on the area/period/unit you're interested in. (for instance: the norther fronties is cold, so you need long sleeves. The later period saw more decorated tunics, etc). If you want te read more about this subject, I would suggest you to get a copy of Graham Sumner - Roman military dress.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you .I have just discovered that site and the information is amazingly thorough.
Gaivs Lvcilivs Longvs
John Lew czyk
Hello folks,
I need some advice, too. I'm interested in the time frame of Caligula, Claudius, and Nero. I'm going to put together a Legionair of that time.
Should I wear a Hamata or a Segmentata?
What time of Gladius would be correct?
Was the Gladius worn on a shoulder strap at that time?
Did the Legionaires at that time wear Femina-trousers, yet?

I'm looking forward to you answers!
Lunico/ Megan H.
Quote:Hello folks,
I need some advice, too. I'm interested in the time frame of Caligula, Claudius, and Nero. I'm going to put together a Legionair of that time.
Should I wear a Hamata or a Segmentata?
What time of Gladius would be correct?
Was the Gladius worn on a shoulder strap at that time?
Did the Legionaires at that time wear Femina-trousers, yet?

I'm looking forward to you answers!

Both hamata and Segmentata are good for that period. Corbridge type of segmentata is fine, but a kalkriese type is also okay. For the gladius both mainz as well as a pompeii blade are acceptable.

Bracae and Feminalia were not worn by Roman legionairies, expect when they started to need those because of the cold climate of the new empire. So, you, during your period these could be used, when you do an impression of a rhine frontier soldier, for instance. But still only when it is cold.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Bracae and Feminalia were not worn by Roman legionairies, expect when they started to need those because of the cold climate of the new empire. So, you, during your period these could be used, when you do an impression of a rhine frontier soldier, for instance. But still only when it is cold.
Would that not have been a fashion thing? I mean, it can snow in Italy too, for sure? Leggings would have been the thing for the earlier legionaries, but Gallic (and Germanic) trousers would have become fashionable later on, while temperatures on Hadrian's Wall remained the same in wintertime...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the answers!!! One more thing about how to carry the Gladius during the time of Caligula and Nero - should I use a shoulder-strap or should I use a second cingulum to attach the sword to? Which way was most common?
Lunico/ Megan H.
Johnczyk

There is certainly a Legion in Massachusetts (actually we encompass all of New England and parts of NY)

Legion III Cyrenaica - www.capecodhibby.com/legioiii.htm

It is a temporary home site...I've been meaning to get the time to really build up a new site, but, easier said than done.

We also have a small presence on Facebook and MySpace. Big Grin

We have 3 Military portrayals - The Legion / Legionaries, and 2 Auxilia units, Coh. I Pannoniorum (infantry and skirmishers), and Coh II Nabetea Sagittaria (archers and slingers)
We also have a good Civilian contingency as well, so there are lots of options!

We use Matt Amt / Leg XX's standards and information all of the time. Many of our members are starting to make their own gear. We always encourage our members to make gear, if they don't want to buy; and we try to arrange some "workshops" to learn how to make gear, and to repair gear, et al.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:We always encourage our members to make gear, if they don't want to buy
That's more honorable than plundering or outright theft. I agree. :wink: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Was there a big difference in equipment between the legionair during Julius Caesar and the legionair during augustus? I know, this might be a total noob question, but....
Lunico/ Megan H.
Quote:
Quote:We always encourage our members to make gear, if they don't want to buy
That's more honorable than plundering or outright theft. I agree. :wink: :roll:
Although that would probably be more historically correct. :wink:
Quote:Was there a big difference in equipment between the legionair during Julius Caesar and the legionair during augustus? I know, this might be a total noob question, but....
If I have understood it correctly, the development was gradual. Compare it to our own armies: I remember that some US soldiers in Iraq already had the most recent type of body protector vest, while others had to do with an older version. It was logistically impossible to produce 100,000 vests immediately, so some people had to wait. The same must have happened in Antiquity: not everyone, not every unit, could immediately obtain the latest stuff. I know of a helmet that has had four owners and must have been used for more than half a century.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website