Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
References to the pelte
To my knowledge, the following authors describe the pelte:

Diodorus Siculus (15.44)
Aristotle
Asclepiodotus
Polyaenus

Could someone give me the pelte references for the latter three authors? Also, if there are any other ancient authors that describe the pelte I'd like those references as well.

Thanks
Adam Anders
Quote:To my knowledge, the following authors describe the pelte:

Diodorus Siculus (15.44)
Aristotle
Asclepiodotus
Polyaenus

Could someone give me the pelte references for the latter three authors? Also, if there are any other ancient authors that describe the pelte I'd like those references as well.

Thanks

The Aristotle reference is Fragment 498 Rose.

Asclepiodotus (5.1) and Aelian (12) describe the shield of the phalangite, but they never actually refer to it as a pelte.

The Polyaenus refers to the peltai of Philip II's phalangites in 4.2.10, but does not actually describe them (unless I'm mistaken and he describes them in another passage).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thanks for that Smile
Adam Anders
Oops, scratch that statement that Asclepiodotus doesn't refer to the pelte directly - at 1.2 he describes it as a "small and light little shield" (he pelte mikra tis estin aspidiske kai kouphe). My mistake!
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Use of word pelte in general sense Sean Manning 3 1,857 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  The Pelte from Pergamon MeinPanzer 1 1,678 05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Last Post: barcid
  Iphicratian Pelte & Pelte Sarrisophoron Hoplitesmores 73 23,048 06-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias