Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housesteads
My best friend and his wife spent a holiday in Scotland and surprised me with many photos of Hadrian's Wall, which they made on their return from the north. I can identify most photos, but this one is too difficult. This building can be seen from Milecastle #37, which is a little bit west of Housesteads. So, what is this? (And: is it Roman? It may be a sheepshed erected from Roman stones.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:My best friend and his wife spent a holiday in Scotland and surprised me with many photos of Hadrian's Wall, which they made on their return from the north. I can identify most photos, but this one is too difficult. This building can be seen from Milecastle #37, which is a little bit west of Housesteads. So, what is this? (And: is it Roman? It may be a sheepshed erected from Roman stones.)

This is one of the many 19th century limekilns in that area. Behind the whinstone sill are deposits of limestone (used to build the Wall) which were burnt to produce lime to put on the poor-quality soils and improve the land for agriculture. Now you know ;-) )

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Now you know ;-) )
Yup, it's not Roman at all... Pity. There ought to be a law against post-Roman buildings; such a law would make things so much easier. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Statue of Victory returns to Housesteads ParthianBow 2 1,055 03-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius