Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of "Roman Clothing and Fashion" by A.T. Cro
Avete!<br>
I received A.T. Croom's "Roman Clothing and Fashion" (Tempus Publishing group, copyright 2000) yesterday and spent a good deal of my night reading it. It is a great addition to any reenactor's library. A.T Croon provides separate sections for men's, women's, children's, and provincial clothing, broken down by garment. She further divides each garment into sections by century. She has excellent references from statues, reliefs, and paintings, with references from many ancient authors. She also adds nice color photographs of reconstructions.<br>
<br>
I heartily recommend it-<br>
<br>
Pallidus <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for the reference. Tell me, does the book include any patterns or diagrams showing how garments were cut? I'm working on my Roman lady impression and am having "fun" with that.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Jen, I have the book too. There aren't many patterns in it but some diagrams. There is emphasis on some details, like the women's gap sleeved tunic, hair styles, and a lot on the strophium or fascia. Since she's going mainly from sculpture and some mosaics, she does not seem to try to recreate from those, but shows the originals in detail and pen and ink sketch.<br>
For example, she infers that tunics may have been sewn from two rectangles by locating a seam on a scuplture. This as opposed to actually having a piece of cloth which as you know, is extremely rare. <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Jen, I would be glad to loan you the ATCroom book if you'd like, but patterns just aren't in there. However, I have just ordered a new book,<br>
<br>
The World of Roman Costume (Wisconsin Studies in Classics)<br>
ISBN: 0299138542<br>
<br>
One reviewer said: "The last chapter ("Reconstructing Roman Clothing") is the most interesting, as it contains patterns and instructions for making most of the clothing discussed in the book"<br>
<br>
On the strength of that I ordered the book. When it arrives I'll write up a review. <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Cool! That's OK Rich, I've already started cutting and sewing and now have a few simple dresses, a couple of summer tunics for mein mann, a few veils and shawls, and a nice wool blend caracalla. I'll have to take some photos when we get back to Germany and put them up in the R&R forum.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
"The World of Roman Costume" is wonderful! I have read and highly recommend. I enjoyed the last section on "re-construction" and the section on "Roman footwear". In the re-construction section, just ignore the synthetic fabrics (they were short on funds from what I understand). It was written by Sebesta, Judith Lynn and Bonfante, Larissa and was for awhile unavailable when I first tried to get it (no longer in print at the time), but they have just re-printed it. I suggest getting it. Very nice......<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Quintus Peltrasius <p>don't they say that "those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." Interesting, if we don't learn the true history (or the little details therein), then..... what have we learned????
</p><i></i>
You've put some effort into this Jenny. We're looking forward to seeing those photos.<br>
I'll be interested too to see the shoes in the Wisconsin book.<br>
While the Vindolanda book on leather has some diagrams of civilian shoes, I've asked them if they have any better photos/sketches etc since the collection in the museum has at least a hundred shoes in it, but far as I know no catalog published of them. <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Thanks, I'll see what I can do about getting them online here, or maybe in R&R forum instead, when we get back from Florida to Germany.<br>
<br>
I haven't hand-stitched anything, although I've thought about whip-stitching the visible hems so as to create the impression of authenticity, but I have very carefully stuck to natural fibers and "homespun" looking weaves -- no flannels, synthetics, prints, nor knits, etc. As a result the clothes look quite authentic in spite of the discreet "cheating" by machine sewing!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Basically a good contribution to the subject, though I was surprised to see credence still given to the now generally discredited "study" of Nick Fuentes which ridiculously concluded that "Legionaries only wore white tunics". Don't people realize this was just a joke? Nick's comedic jab at his former reenactment group, the Ermine Street Guard, in an attempt to embarrass them because they wore red tunics? Anyone who has studied the primary source material knows that red tunics were commonly worn by soldiers "under arms" from the Republic to end of the Empire. Nick naturally had to leave all of this evidence out for his joke to be effective, but it will be published in my next book, because, unfortunately, the joke has now gone too far. It is amazing how many people took it seriously, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary! <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,908 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Review: Sumner\'s Roman Military Clothing (1) Gregg 19 3,941 01-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Last Post: richsc