Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cupid on Valentines Day
In honor of Valentine's Day here is a photo of a project I've been working on. It's a 1/2 scale attempt at reverse-engineering a weapon based upon the Cupid Gem. Others have used the general itallic A shaped layout of the base, mostly on iron-framers, but I agree with Marsden's interpretation that the Gem depicts a wooden-framed euthyone engine. The questions I seek to answer are; First, does a literal reconstuction result in a workable and practical weapon? Second, if so, where in the timeline of Roman Artillery should such a weapon belong. To begin with I made a wire frame drawing laid over the original image to get the angles and proportions correct. The next hurdle was figuring out a plausible and practical joinery plan that also fit with the few details remaining on the carving. To add a degree of difficulty I challenged myself to come up with a version that is also easy to disassemble and set up. The universal joint is attached to the case and it just slides out of the top of the column. By pulling two pins, the rest of the base breaks down into three pieces. That last functionality is conjecture on my part, but as an old soldier I look for such things. The only novel features so far are the u-shaped metal bracket that cupid is seen stepping on at the end of the backstay, and the bent wire pulvinus that suports the end of the case in lieu of the traditional prop associated with Vitruvian drum type winches. In my estimation the two-ratcheted winch and the monopod base place this engine some time after Vitruvius. The wooden frame dates it prior to Trajan's Dacian wars probably than 87AD. The next step will be finishing the winch. I've got a very simple version in mind. The arms will be curved, and it will have a trigger block that slides on the fixed canalis fundus.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"