Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What\'s On Your Coffee Table
Magazines:

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good Greek Hoplite coverage in magazines that might be worth subscribing to.

Now I know of Skirmisher Magazine - a re-enactment magazine but it's more for all periods and I think there's only been 1 large article on Greeks in it's 76 issue run.
Then there's Wargamer Illustrated - a figures based wargame manual but just how often they cover ancients I don't know.
Strategy & Tactics - a wargame / history magazine that has had some good historical articles in the past, same for Military Illustrated.

But I'm wondering if there's any out there covering JUST our period.
Ira Gossett
Errrrr...... there is a fine magazine, devoted to this period, called "Ancient Warfare", edited by RAT's own Jasper Oorthuys - it is often referred to in many threads here, so I assume you are aware of it ? Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
That one's a given which is why I didn't mention it, I was wondering about any others.
Ira Gossett
I want to make a coffee table out of a Huscarl shield. At that point I would have a boss and some paint on my coffee table. Underneath is where you keep the seax attached and at the ready. All of it will just be set on top of a free stand for quick access. The best coffee table ever!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
From a "gaming" perspective you might try C3i magazine from GMT Games (out of California). They have a wide range of games and their magazine often runs articles about ancient Greece and Rome. Not every issue nor exclusively ancient, but on occasion you might find something of interest.

http://www.gmtgames.com/

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
My friend is always leafing through "White Dwarf" magazines. Also on gaming but the fantasy stuff is much more common in them.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Hey if you turn the boss around you'd have a built in ashtray :lol: A seriously good publication from a wargaming perspective is Slingshot. Slingshot is a bi-monthly publication, distributed to members of the Society of Ancients as part of their membership subscription - many people on RAT cut their teeth on Slingshot. Most of the content is related to Ancient and Medieval military history and wargaming. There are articles, reviews, letters, game design ideas, as well as the usual discussion on different wargames rules. A PDF index of Slingshot, covering all issues from 1965 to 2007, is available from their download page to give you an idea of their coverage. They are up to their 269th issue and yes back issues are available to members. While wargaing is the focus military history , armies, troop types and reviews of books are covered. See [url:3df496h0]http://soa.org.uk/[/url]
Peter Raftos