Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children\'s books on Rome
Since some of us do presentations on the Roman army and Roman culture at elementary schools, I was wondering what books would be a good nucleus to recommend to kids ages 10 to 12? For factual books, I think Peter Connolly certainly. for a start.<br>
What about fiction? Rosemary Sutcliffe is published in the US. I just discovered Caroline Lawrence, who does mysteries with a 10 year old girl detective names Flavia Gemina (good story: just finished "Thieves of Ostia". Any other recommendations? <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Peter Conolly certainly, the more lightweight book called 'The Roman Army' especially, it was the first book I ever asked for in a book shop and had them order, i waited months for that to come, and then read it again and again, including counting all the soldiers in that picture of a legion he's drawn to see if they were all there.<br>
<br>
<p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
There's a book out called "The Roman News" I believe.<br>
It takes many of the key events in Rome's history and throws them together in a book that's written in newspaper style with headlines and the whole shabang. I also seem to remember it having a guide for buying slaves. Hmmm.....<br>
It's really a neat book.<br>
Anyway, I'll check out the Author and double check the title for you and let you know.<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
I have one of those. It's absolutely crazy, in tabloid style! E EM<br>
It's called Shock Horror History and contains three books that were also published seperately. It's published by Usborne Publishing, no ISBN, strangely enough. I see it's on sale in Amazon's Z-shops.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
The title is "The Roman News" and the authors are Andrew Langley and Philip De Souza. The publisher is Candlewick Press.<br>
It's a great book with an interesting style and good layout.<br>
I'd recommend this one.<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
While looking for the other book by Simon James mentioned in another thread, I came across this one:<br>
<br>
"Eyewitness Guides: Ancient Rome" Simon James<br>
Dorling Kindersley; ISBN: 0863184456<br>
A really good overview with a lot of photos and artwork.<br>
<br>
<p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best books for Rome's enemies? Dave Clarke 10 5,427 12-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  Spanish Language books on Roman army, Rome richsc 3 1,488 04-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS