Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legions of Rome
Quote:Not as good as Roddy, who then went on to play a chimp called Cornelius!

And Bon Chance Louie in Tales of the Golden Monkey. Now Mr Blakeney, there was a real sailor, not like that Hornblower bloke (whose biographer - C. Northcote Parkinson - once called Admiral David Milne* a 'Scotch nobody' which has to be one of the biggest misjudgements of a man who survived 'mild contusions of the thighs' after a cannonball passed between his legs during the Bombardment of Algiers).

Now, why did I start this thread?!?!?!

Mike Bishop

*To give a Roman military context to that mess of off-topic nonsense, Milne owned Inveresk Gate estate, under which a portion of the vicus of Inveresk fort is situated. His grandson was allegedly the model for Eeyore.
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Now, why did I start this thread?!?!?!

To prove the new book on Roman legions is so interesting that within a few postings the entire subject of the thread changes ?

:lol:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Hi

Not as good as Roddy, who then went on to play a chimp called Cornelius!

Graham.

And then he played a chimp named Caesar ....

Just to bring this back to Rome .. sort of ...

:roll:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
There is a magnificient book on the history of every single legion, in two volumes. Fully referenced with both primary and secondary sources. A full A4-sized, 800 plus pages monster. Inmensely useful... and unfortunately almost unknown abroad.

Yes, it is in Spanish, so what? Learn it! Big Grin

AUTOR RODRIGUEZ GONZALEZ, J.
FECHA (2001)
TITULO Historia de las legiones romanas.
VOLUMEN I-II
LUGAR Madrid, Signifer
Quote:AUTOR RODRIGUEZ GONZALEZ, J.
FECHA (2001)
TITULO Historia de las legiones romanas.
VOLUMEN I-II
LUGAR Madrid, Signifer
Any reviews, Fernando? I learned long ago never to purchase a book before reading the reviews! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Doesn't this qualify as one? :-) ) I'll check!
And does it provide additional information compared to Bohec's Les legions de Rome?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There are differences. Julio's book includes all legions from the Late Republic (Caesarian, Pompeian, etc. ) before merging or disbandment, and also Late Empire survivors. So it cobvers a longer period, and the origins of the Earlyu Imperial Legions are discussed individually.
Being a single author, Julio's approach is more systematic and homogeneous, although some of the essays in Le Bohec's are certainly better than Julio's corresponding unit studies... others are perhaps poorer.
On the legions of Rome, I still think Jona Lendering's surveys on Livius.org are excellent: http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm

@ MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS: Remember the statues of Augustus show the man around 27BCE when he came to the settlement with the Senate and they gave him the title of 'revered one'. A profile of the same image was used on coins. From what I understand the youthful image of the princeps did not change, even when he was an old man. There's a good podcast by the British Museum at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0 ... f_Augustus The aged Augustus may well indeed have looked quite like the revered Brian Blessed...
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
The nonsense continues: here.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I really hope the journalist was responsible for some answers. Like this one:
Quote:"If several Roman legions were dropped into Afghanistan today, they would be brutal, bloody and ruthless".
I would say: they would be shot to pieces by AK-47s and IED's within a few days.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmm...

"...and in the end the nature of insurgent warfare would defeat the legions."

Depends on your definition of insurgency I think.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,374 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  The Legions of Rome Arthes 3 1,440 03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus
  Yet Another New Book About Rome\'s Legions from Dando-Collins Narukami 2 1,245 07-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Narukami