Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Windlass Kopis
Windlass has a new foray into the Kopis market, and I am not an expert, although I am trying to learn. What is the opinion on the grip and blade shape ? Historically accurate ? In the ball park ? Plausible due to some vase art ? Just plain thrown together with materials at hand ? Thanks for the input.

"Although the leaf blade Hoplite Sword is most often associated with the ancient Greek warrior, the Kopis was widespread and much in use all across the Greek Isles and indeed other areas under their influence, even including their ofttimes enemy, Persia. This is due, no doubt, to the fact that it is a very effective weapon, being able to split bronze helms and wooden shields. Blade sizes varied from about 8" up to about 22" in length. We have chosen to replicate a mid-size blade that would have been carried alone or sometimes with a longer Hoplite Sword. The fullered blade is high carbon steel and has polished buffalo horn scales riveted to a full profile tang with steel spacers and tip. Comes with leather scabbard with shoulder straps that can be tied at the desired length. "

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1159-greek-kopis.aspx
James Kell ey Never Trust a Fart
Personally i think it is too short, compared to the blades found in archaeology.

[Image: FalcataIberianBladeChart.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Some blades i have seen are very short and i think this one is not out of hand. What i don't like much is the hilt. It seems rigid and of good quality,but not in the style. It looks more like moder kitchen knife. Still,it can be used i think. It doesn't seem replaceable anyway.
What you will have to change definately though is the scabbard. Make a wooden one,covered in leather,with four rings for the suspention.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
This is slightly off-topic, but I have a question for you, Giannis. Can you please take a photo of your scabbard fastening straps? I really like yours and I am planning to do similar on my state of the art kopis Smile It deserves no less. Thank you!
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Here you are. I made a painting because it may had not been too clear in the photo.
I'm not claiming it is the accurate way,but it looks at least like the art and it functions for me. It also give a possible interpretation of the "double" baldric and of the hunging decoration from the lower rings.
In mine i made the bands from brass,like in roman scabbards,but since i have never seen any remnant of those in any greek sword even when part of the wooden scabbard is preserved,i ten to believe most of them were leather.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
My suspension rings are made of ornamented brass as well, but I was using a simple leather cord to hang it over my shoulder - that is what i need to improve significantly. From the photo it looks your your cord is made of wool, isnt it? twp woolen cords with several joints across the length.

Sorry to the OP author for stealing his topic, so maybe i can get back on topic a bit. Are you looking for a good Kopis? Or did you just want to discuss that particular piece for the sake of us all?
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
One note from an "artistic" point of view; this Kopis would look definitely better with a much shorter handle...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Lysandros,yes my baldric is woolen. It's actually one cord,doubled and glued and then i cut the middle sections leaving the "bridges" every some centimeter. If i made it now,i'd prefer leather and i wou;d make the cutouts a bit smaller.
Virilis,i suspect the handle is the correct size,and the blade is too short. But it's not out of possibility i think. Some kopides were really short!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Some blades i have seen are very short and i think this one is not out of hand. What i don't like much is the hilt. It seems rigid and of good quality,but not in the style. It looks more like moder kitchen knife. Still,it can be used i think. It doesn't seem replaceable anyway.
What you will have to change definately though is the scabbard. Make a wooden one,covered in leather,with four rings for the suspention.
Khaire
Giannis

Does have a " tomato slicer " appeal, huh ? 8)
James Kell ey Never Trust a Fart