Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Goldsworthy\'s Cannae
Adrian Goldsworthy, <i> Cannae</i> (London 2001), 200pp, ill., GBP 14.99.<br>
<br>
Highly productive Adrian Goldsworthy has published another new book. <i> Cannae</i> is one in a new series by publishing house Cassell about famous battles, edited about Richard Holmes of War Walks fame.<br>
The book starts with a brief synopsis of the Second Punic war and the campaign leading to the 2nd of August 216BC. The description of the battle itself takes up over 70 pages. A short look at the aftermath, a glossary and two indexes about troop numbers and casualties complete the book. There is no bibliography, but in the endnotes some suggestions to further reading may be found.<br>
Obviously you don't want to look for a complete history of the Punic Wars in this book. If that's what you're looking for, then check out for instance G.'s <i> Punic Wars</i> or Lazenby's <i> The First Punic War</i> and <i> Hannibal's War</i>. This book is centred around this one battle, which is often likened to the first day of the Battle of the Somme for its horrific butcher's list and the mental impact on the nation suffering it. G.s describes the battle in a very readable prose and pictures the movements of the different armies well. The book is obviously aimed for the generally interested market, but that hasn't detracted G. from discussing the ancient sources. For instance he regularly comes back to the 'guilt-question'. Varro has always been seen as the one to blame, while Paullus got much better propaganda. This is undoubtedly due to his influential family and G. tries to disentangle facts and propaganda about the actions of both consuls.<br>
He also pays a lot of attention to the 'face of battle' during Cannae, not surprising and not so new for whoever knows G.'s <i> The Roman Army at War</i>, but it does make the account that more readable. The maps are very clear and support the story well. The illustrations are also a nice addition, they for instance show the monuments on which Connolly's reconstructions of Spanish soldiers in <i> Greece and Rome at War</i> are based. A pity that something went wrong with the picture on p.94 and the description on p.95. That says we should see Greek hoplites in combat, but the image obviously depicts Imperial Romans, from what looks to me like Trajan's Column. However, this is the only real mistake I could find.<br>
The contents are not so new for avid Goldsworthy readers, except perhaps for the discussion of the battle site and troop dispositions before the battle. Recommended for fans, but for only two pounds more you have <i> The Roman Army at War</i>. That one should come first! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 12/27/01 10:35:01 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Great, I'll get the book as I like Goldsworthy very much. Too bad for editing errors. I really hate them. I am very suprised the bad photo mix up wasn't caught. Who proof reads these books? Evidently someone incompetent or in a bad rush that didn't even bother to skim thru the book. I hope these mistakes are avoided in the future. Books are already very expensive! I don't mind paying good money as long as I get a quality product. Goldsworthy is a quality author and that is why I will get the book.<br>
<br>
<br>
p.s. You mentioned the new series by Cassell Publishing about famous battles. Any other Roman battles in the list?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hi Jeff,<br>
Nope, no other Roman battles in the list (at the back of the book at least). The others are:<br>
Gettysburg, Arnhem, Islandlwana, Midway, Agincourt, Kursk, Naseby, The Somme, Blenheim, Yorktown and Tannenberg.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannae by Adrian Goldsworthy ParthianBow 3 1,723 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar