Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Recruitment In The Late Republican Era
Quote:We appear to have stumbled into a known Caesarian problem. From my notes on Alesia, it seems that Napoléon III believed that Caesar had 11 legions at that stage, while others (e.g. Keppie) say 10. For the sake of an easy life, we can join the majority and give Caesar's proxime the benefit of the doubt.

The actual point was regarding the five cohorts, which I continue to believe had been detached from existing legions. It comes down to belief, though -- as you know, Caesar doesn't specify. (I still find it odd that he would create a new half-legion and brigade it with an existing legion, rather than -- as hitherto -- raising a complete legion.)

One thing to consider is that Caesar quite often mentions the legions where troops belonged, but I don't think he does in this case. This could of course suggest that those cohorts did not belong to a legions. Just an idea, though.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Has anyone ever considered the 10th being raised in 69 BC?

By my maths that would put the 16th year in 53 BC and the 20th extraordinary year in 49 BC. This would be inline with the 10ths insistance for discharge in 48 BC as they would've been beyond all forms of service and serving, in their minds, at their pleasure.

69 BC would also coincide with Caesars Quastorship in Hispania, and just putting it out there, maybe he raised the legion for the Propraetor of that year. Completely unsupported by facts so please dont flame the crap out of me Smile
Zeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman Balteus during the late Republican Period Reznikov12 4 1,128 04-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Roman Legionary Recruitment/Armor Harrisonfletch 2 1,371 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) Spurius Papirius Cursor 91 28,714 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat