Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military museum.
Hello all.

I went to Greece last year with a group travel agency to go all around greece except the northern parts.
I went from Athens to Corinth, Sparta, Olympia, Delphi and back to Athens.

I like the classical times and its very interesting and beautiful to walk in the museums and sites, but as my main interest for Ancient Greece is military equipment/sites and Alexander, it was abit sad that there was not involving those.

But I would like to visit Italy aswell, maybe with the same agency (the people were really great) but I fear that again I will not see alot of the military aspect during the trip.
Does anyone (or maybe someone local from Italy) maybe know of certain cities/sites that involve alot of the military aspect of ancient rome?
I might go there per train with a friend of mine this year, can anyone give any good tips on certain spots to visit? (next to rome itself ofcourse, I really want to see the colliseum personally)
Erwin van Gorp
As the most of the Roman army was outside Rome, you find more on the border region then in Italy itself. Both Rome itself and the area of Naples are worth a visit anyway. In Rome you can visit the Forum next to the colloseum and of course the colloseum itself. The Thermae of caracalla are also intersting, as is the Museo Nazionale Romana. With the metro you can go to Ostia antica, which is also worth a visit, but not military at all. Just buildings.

If you want to see Roman military stuff you should really go to the border countrys. The UK, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany have enough sites to visit during a lot of holydays. And then I don't know that much of the rest of the border, but I know there is also much to see.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I take it you didn't visit the War Museum in Athens?
True, the section on the ancient warfare is a bit small, probably because a lot of the most interesting pieces are in foreign museums.
You probably saw more of the collections in the other museum around Greece, I missed it last time as the ywere still renovating for the Olympics.
As Jurjen says, and I can vouch for , th UK has some very interesting collections, scattered all over the country, from the BM in London to
the Scottish National Museum in Edinburgh, and the Hunterian? in Glasgow.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah that really sucked.
The only free time we had from the group was on sunday, but I went on to some other things, and got to the war museum at around 16.00 but it apparently just closed, which was a major bummer.
Got some pics of the planes, artillery pieces outside though which is nice, but I can go to brussels anyway to see those.

Btw yeah, no surprise england has alot of nice pieces.
One of guides was seriously pissed, because england refuses to return the pieces they have to Greece, which were basically stolen when the turks ruled there by elgin marble.
Erwin van Gorp
Yeah, but the UK has also very good archeological sides and museums. The BM, Museum of Scotland and Huntarian are good, as are the different sites at Hadrians wall, Colchester, York, Chester, and I can go on and on. But closer to home you can go to Museum het Valkhof (Nijmegen), Rijksmuseum van Oudheden (Leiden), Gallo-Romeins museum Tongeren, Romeins Archeologisch Museum Oudenburg and also Xanten (nice new museum) and Haltern in Germany. But then we can also go on to mention Cologne and Bonn with nice museums as well. There is enough to see, anyways.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Does anyone (or maybe someone local from Italy) maybe know of certain cities/sites that involve alot of the military aspect of ancient rome?
Sounds as if you need the Ancient Warfare 2009 Special, with the list of "Roman military" museums at the back.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi Erwin,

If you are interested in hooking up with people with shared interests send me a PM. Our group attends many events at museums and archaeological sites throughout Europe. A lot of people in Legio XI CPF have extensive travel experience and often travel around visiting Roman (and other) museums.

Best regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Do you have set dates or something for these trips?

I work in a 2 shift way (early and late), which makes doing stuff like that a hassle sometimes Sad .
So I always like to know abit up front so I can plan everything out well.
Erwin van Gorp
hi erwin, i'm from the same group as jef.

probably in march (maybe already in february), a calendar will appear at [url:xpp5xglf]http://www.legioxi.be[/url] with the events we are doing...
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
I'll be sure to keep an eye on it then Wink

Btw do you guys made those suits of armor yourselves or something? Looks pretty impressive ^^
Erwin van Gorp
Quote:I'll be sure to keep an eye on it then Wink

Btw do you guys made those suits of armor yourselves or something? Looks pretty impressive ^^

Thanks. It's a mix of things we made and things we had made.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Sounds as if you need the Ancient Warfare 2009 Special, with the list of "Roman military" museums at the back.

Is the one with the Varus disaster on the cover page? I'm interested in the list you mentioned but I'm not sure that's the right issue.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
The link seems to be broken. Try this one.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
ok, now is working. Thank you very much.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade Museum of Military History Gladius Ricktavius 17 5,060 08-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Military Reliefs from the Bardo Museum sulla felix 0 797 03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Last Post: sulla felix