Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman fiction on the radio... on the internet
BBC Radio 4 has a series on historical novels and the programme about the Romans (only just broadcast) is available at www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 and follow links for Another Time Another Place, where there is a link to a RealPlayer stream of the prog.<br>
<br>
Novels discussed are Eagle of the Ninth, Course of Honour, I Claudius, and Last Seen in Massilia, and includes an interview with Lindsey Davis.<br>
<br>
Incidentally, whilst loitering around the Radio 4 website, fans of the late Douglas Adams may also like to listen to his series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Future (about the upcoming mix of broadcasting, computers, internet, and publishing) by following the Radio 4 links to Listen Again.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
As a fan of Lindsey Davis I appreciate that link! I didn't know that in the UK alone 20 novels on Rome are published each year. I have no idea how many novels are published in other languages, like the SPQR series in German by Maddox Roberts, to make up everything published in a particular year. That would be an interesting factoid. <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
What does the word factpoid mean. Is it like a fact, only smaller and not as worth nkowing. Certainly when I've seen it used here on the TV, usually it has to be said on the trashy American programmes our terrestrial commercial channels use to fill up the early afternoons, it seems to be treated as a word which strongly implies a fact, but without the legal implications , and usually without much supporting data....<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Found this on the all-knowing internet:<br>
<br>
"According to Webster's College Dictionary, here is the definition of<br>
factoid:<br>
<br>
'fact oid (noun) something fictitious or unsubstantiated that is<br>
presented as fact, devised esp. to gain publicity, and accepted<br>
because of constant repetition. [1973, Amer.]'"<br>
<br>
There you go!<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Tch Tch.. to my knowledge factoids originated with the tabloid publication "USA Today" that has, as its major design thought, no story that extends more than one column, and certainly not onto another page. They set out to appeal to a sixth grade level of reading, and those more used to the major TV network news. Think a 'soundbite' in print. Factoids are tiny little graphs, quotes, or other easily consumed information that is not intellectually challenging, but very useful when discussing football on Monday morning at the office. <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Hidden Soul" Roman fiction on Kindle Godgirl97 0 1,512 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Godgirl97
  Best Roman fiction authors richsc 89 25,526 12-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Last Post: M.V.AGRIPPA
  Question about a Roman internet site. rekirts 2 1,122 09-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius