Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Sumner and d\'Amato book
Graham,

Are you able to say anything about roughly when we might expect to see your next collaborative effort - on the later aprt of the Roman Empire?

Best Wishes

Theo
Probably later.... :mrgreen: Sorry, couldn't help myself... :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd say you need a life ...
Theo
I have a very good one thank you. :wink:
You could possibly do with a sense of humour though....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Caius,

Point taken. I apologise to you and withdraw my unkind remark.

Best Wishes

Theo
I can forgive you, if you can for give the opportunistic late roman joke.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I highly recommend Raffaele D’Amato's and Graham Sumner's 'Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier 112BC-AD192', Barnsley: Frontline Books, 2009. I made some observations about it in my new blog at http://bit.ly/duHSL1
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
It is a good book. Definately worth the money.
And encouragement to get this later one you refer to. My late impression is none existant....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Indeed a nice book and worth the money, although I wouldn't suggest it to newbies, as it should be read with care, in my opinion. But yeah, it gives a lot of stuff to think about.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi

Just in case you missed it, Jasper has posted the following link
Quote:http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ancientwa...rmour.html

to a very interesting review of Arms and Armour in the Bryn Mawr Classical Review.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
It's really good book. Can't wait for next volume.
Yes, the review is very interesting, mostly because I learnt a new word: recondite. A very polite way of expressing a sentiment I feel versus some parts of Raffaele's submitted texts when I edit them for Ancient Warfare.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Yes, the review is very interesting, mostly because I learnt a new word: recondite. A very polite way of expressing a sentiment I feel versus some parts of Raffaele's submitted texts when I edit them for Ancient Warfare.

Is this some orwellian neo-language Confusedhock: ? Fat people are "horizontally challenged" or "possessing an alternative body image" :twisted: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
LOL You read too much into things! 8) 8)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
That review is a brilliant example of how not to be negative, yet convey an accurate summary of the content etc....a model review in fact! Smile D

As well as "recondite debate with Mike Bishop", some other gems are "quirks" ( can't disagree with that! :wink: ), "diachronic" ( not a word in everyday use!), "generally not persuasive" ( nifty! one can take this phrase literally or treat it as a euphemism 8) 8) ), and a particularly nice turn of phrase to summarise the work as a whole:-
a"pseudo-revisionist return to the sculpture inspired antiquarian way of envisioning the Roman Army" - love that phraseology! Smile D

Despite all that, and having got over my first impressions of the book, I would recommend it, but only to those with a thorough grasp of the subject - worth having if only because it contains a good pictorial survey of much of the sculptural etc evidence.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D´Amato-from Commodus to Constantine? F. MAXIMILIANVS ITALICVS 17 3,339 10-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  R. D\'Amato & A. Salimbeti, Bronze Age Warrior bachmat66 1 1,530 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  TMP and d\'AMATO Theo 10 2,332 02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Theo