Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The world\'s worst reenactor
Quote:However i would like to see those tourist robbers removed from the site of our holy city, for they disgrace Roman virtue and honour.
Crucifixion in the park behind the Vatican Hill, or even on the Appian way seems ok to me in their case.
As far as I can see those people are usually unemployed / very poor, and try to make a living out of this. I don´t see how people trying to make a living can disgrace a place that has a history like the Flavian Amphitheatre - it already was a graceless place from the beginning. And I don´t see how "Roman virtue and honour" are disgraced. This is so commonplace, it could be used as an example of "commonplace" in an encyclopedia . And the further statement, asking for the crucifixion of these poor people is so tasteless, inhumane, condescending, dismissive and brainless, that, once again, I wish I had an "ignore" button. Honestly, I hardly can eat as much as I wanna puke.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
These guys are paid to look like Romans...........at the lovely palace Caesar built in the Nevada desert
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
A:
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:A: they are NOT poor, but members of a syndicate supported by some of the worst scum on earth.

B: They have robbed tourists before, and even attacked the ones not willing to pay 10 euros with their wooden swords.

C: They were involved in several disturbances of the peace and have been trying to cause havoc during the Roman Re-enactments of the past few years near the Forum, and were subsequently preemtively arrested.

D: Some of them are Italian and some of them are Bulgarian, Romanian, and what have you, other people trying to earn their money the same way were chased away with violent threats.
Aha. So then this is of course reason enough to have them all killed, I agree. :roll:
Apart from that I wonder if you have any proof for each of these statements. Some sound more like just invented.

Quote:You call the Amfitheatrum Flavium disgraceful, I call Hooligans and Football a disgrace.
Well, this is great, but your reply is none. This has nothing to do with what I said.

Quote:Brainless... hahahahaha, Just scored one of the highest grades for my Historiography exam at University so think again...
See, this is the problem. You read things that aren´t there. I didn´t say you were brainless, I said the statement was. That´s quite a difference.

Quote:Please do NOT forget that i am a first century Roman re-enactor, and that in the case of living history to the fullest i adhere (in several of my postings in the off topic section) to first century viewpoints, also on first century matters.
That´s pathological, IMO. But it explains a lot. Do you know Robert Underdunk-Terwilliger? Familiar?

Quote:If you take everything Germanically serious, and prove once and again that humor or even satyre and cynicism is far to find in your book, be my guest and please stay that way
What´s that? An erroneous telediagnosis of my humour? Maybe my humour is too subtle for you.... ^^
I don´t see satire in your post above, cynicism at the best. It rather appears that you want to level your initial statement by calling it so.

Quote:Please stay your Teutonic self Christian, and dont change !! I like you far too much this way, you are the fish who always bites
And again... jeez... my Teutonic self. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with "Teutonic" history. Or know where I come from. ^^ Also this has not a lot to do with my nationality. I´m just allergic to such unreflected statements and positions. If you say you just make those out of fun, to spark certain reactions in other members etc. it makes you a forum troll, nothing less.
I suggest next time you wanna write something that´s not meant for serious you mark it, e.g. like [fool][/fool], or, if necessary, the other way round [serious][/serious] so that noone can accuse you of trolling, resp. takes a statement for the bullshit it might be, and thus doesn´t get upset. And it would be a bit more in accordance with the rules of this forum in regard of these things.
I promise, in that sense I won´t change for a while. I think if you stick to what I suggested above, we could get along.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Last time i looked in the mirror i did not look like this :

[Image: troll_2.jpg]

So a Troll i am not at all, nor am i Trolling.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I've actually already mentioned the fact that one was recently cherged wit hattacking a japanese tourist who refused to
pay up after taking a picture of the amphitheater which one of these guys happened to be in frame of....hardly doing the city any good at all.
Imagine if we were to attack anyone who came to a re-enactment with a camera, and didn't fork over their money to anyone in kit who decided they had to. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Say Marcus, just who in your photo would you like to present as the World's Worst Re-enactor? Big Grin

Hahaha, no comment Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:You can call me a Terrone, a Dutch käsekopf, a peasant, Cinaide, Fellator or any other name which might be convenient for you, and i wont even feel the slightest bit insulted, so wether or not you are Teutonic, Germanic or even Alamannic in my book doesnt matter at all... you are from Germany, I am from the Netherlands, both countries which are laden with sick and terrible history, and i dont nessecarily mean modern day history or even politics.

Okay, that's enough- it's irrelevant that you don't mind nationalistic slurs as a personal shot Henk-Jan, because RAT does; even if Christian didn't, RAT does.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Sirs, I'm feeling offended ! :evil:

A: We are not poor, only some of the worst scum on earth.

B: We have robbed tourists before, and even put funny faces to the ones not willing to give us candy with our wooden swords.

C: We have been involved in several disturbances of the peace and have been trying to cause havoc during the Roman Re-enactments (specially those girlie blooddles thing they call now "gladiators" or after our 5th Emperor chosen in the last 2 minutes) but we haven't been never preemtively arrested. We are the ones who must do that job...and we are not up to it.

D: Some of us are Roman and some of us are Barbarian or even Basque, and what have you, any other people trying to earn their money honestly has been chased away by chaps in funny costumes .

Sorry, I'm a late Roman reenactor following "the method" :mrgreen:

:wink:

Now more seriously :roll: , I remember when one of those photo-tippers tried to go 50%-50% with the group in one event (you can imagine de kind of "caesarian costume"). He was merciless thrown out of the city walls (not a thing easy to see today) :lol:

[Image: file.php?id=6597&mode=view]

The girls will love the uniform, they said when I enrolled...but a man without trouser always seems too suspicious :lol:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
THEN theres this guy........just stood there with a smart-ass look on his face.......what a jerk...kit wasn't all that bad though.....but still....
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1tmc73i9 Wrote:I am totally facinated as to whom we actually owe the idea to?
The Estates General; plus Marsilio Mainardini's Defensor Pacis (1325), which continues the idea of the "double truth" from Ibn Rushd. Here, we see the core ideas of European democracy for the first time.....
[snip]

I'm far from saying you've got the basic idea wrong, but sometimes I go even further and say the true roots of these ideas can't be reliably traced. I, for one, like to say we owe democracy to Vikings Smile )

With me coming from central Europe I make no claim regarding any kind of Viking ancestry (though I guess I probably have some, considering some of my distant ancestors were from places like Sweden and France) so I'm no pro-Viking agitator. But there *is* some truth to saying we should say thanks to those barbaric Vikings.

Things like Althing or Løgting are proof that many democratic ideas and institutions go back even further than Renaissance, and the Vikings and their ships and swords and ideas went just about *everywhere* in early medieval Europe, including England, France, Italy, even Constantinople...

So you're spot on, Jona, when you're saying that we often ignore current knowledge and prefer sticking to old mistakes. But I'd never say that history is fluid. It is not (ignoring time machines and so on). What is fluid is our knowledge and understanding of history. And I think we *should* learn from history, because even though our knowledge of it is flawed, it is still better than no knowledge at all. We can try to *learn* from past mistakes instead of repeating them, if nothing alse.
Appius Solanius Pertinax
a.k.a. Martin Zdansky
Oh, and to stay on topic, here's two more colorful romans, this time near the Pantheon, and the photo was taken in 2009:

[Image: TwoguysnearthePantheon.jpg]
Appius Solanius Pertinax
a.k.a. Martin Zdansky
Yes they are rather nice looking Romans. But who are the 2 dudes with the funny feather hats with them? :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:THEN theres this guy........just stood there with a smart-ass look on his face.......what a jerk...kit wasn't all that bad though.....but still....

This man is a little pale to portray a Roman don't you think. Big Grin He must have seen some jail time or something...
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb