Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book with belt parts....
Ave!<br>
<br>
I am in need of a book that has pics/diagrams/etc... of detailed belt parts. My library is limited as of yet, but is still expanding. I am looking to get hopefully Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome At War" and maybe one or two of the JRMES series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to replace this cingulum that I bought with one that I have made myself and can document accurately. Thanks....<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Quintus Peltrasius<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
Bishop and Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment" is the first place to start---IF you can find it!<br>
<br>
Bishop also did an article in JRMES on "The Imperial Apron", though I don't recall which volume offhand. Check the JRMES site and look through the tables of contents. There's one on apron terminals, as well, I think.<br>
<br>
Bits and pieces show up in various archeological reports, etc., which are always worth having but I'm not sure you want to buy all those books on the off chance that they'll have a buckle you haven't seen yet!<br>
<br>
Was it a Deepeeka belt you got, by chance? My condolences, it's a total loss... They're supposed to have 2 newer versions which might actually have some usable parts, but I haven't seen them yet. Don't hold your breath, though. The Museum Replicas one is even worse. Albion and Raymond's Quiet Press make some nice parts, if you want to assemble your own belt.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
If you want one book that *is* available, I would suggest the Vindonissa catalogue, which should be obtainable through David Brown books:<br>
<br>
Unz, C. and Deschler-Erb, E. 1997: *Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa. Militärische Funde, Pferdegeschirr und Jochteile bis 1976*, Veröffentlichungen der Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa Bd.14, Brugg<br>
<br>
Text is in German, but the pictures are multilingual ;-) and there are few sites with as many 1st-century belt components from them as this one. Failing that, if you can get access to a library containing the journal *Archaeologia*, this is the definitive article on belt plates and buckles:<br>
<br>
Grew, F. and Griffiths, N. 1991: 'The pre-Flavian military belt: the evidence from Britain', *Archaeologia* 109, 47-84<br>
<br>
Even if you can't find an academic library near you, some of them (Joint Library of the Hellenic & Roman Societies (in London) and the Ashmolean Library (in Oxford) used to (and probably still) do photocopying by post.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I did some searching with Copernic on Archaeologia, and come up with several hits referencing a journal spelled "Archaeolgia",<br>
also "Archaeolgia Aeliana", "Archaeolgia Cambries" and other similar references. Are these all the same thing? <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?