Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation...this should be easy!
Looking at "Know your enemy"...how does that translate into latin?

Legion: TBD
"Nosce hostem tuum" or "Hostem tuum nosce" (the order of the words can vary without changing the meaning) if you are talking to one person; if you are talking to two or more "Hostem vestrum noscite".

"Enemy" can also be translated with "inimicum", with a little difference of meaning; but if you are talking about war, "hostem" is ok.
Kosios (Livio Asta)
I think that "nosce inimicum" has the disadvantage of creating a hiatus, which sounds unpleasant. Personally, I'd use nosce hostem or hostem nosce, because two words of two syllables create a nice, balanced structure, with the same crispy beauty of expressions like carpe diem, absit omen, or cave canem.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks guys!

Legion: TBD
Quote:I think that "nosce inimicum" has the disadvantage of creating a hiatus, which sounds unpleasant. Personally, I'd use nosce hostem or hostem nosce, because two words of two syllables create a nice, balanced structure, with the same crispy beauty of expressions like carpe diem, absit omen, or cave canem.

I like the sound of that tthough....I wonder if it is just me, but the roll on of inimicum has a ring to it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I like the sound of that tthough....I wonder if it is just me, but the roll on of inimicum has a ring to it!
The point is not inimicum, but the combination with nosce, which creates a hiatus (two clashing vowels). That does not offer a nice pronunciation -it will probably change into nosc' inimicum- and the ancients usually avoided it.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
So is nosce pronounced nos-keh or nosk? I still find it sounds normal to have this together but then I'm not a real roman I guess.....(nor have I learned proper pronunciation.... :oops: )
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
noskeh
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks. Guess I'm betraying my barbarian roots, but this still sounds good to me! :lol:
My apologies!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What about: Inimicum nosce ??

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.