Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a Sounding Horn
Well done Cole Big Grin !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hey folks,

Thanks again for all of your kind words. I now have a .wav of my rather inexpert sounding sounding of the horn. Unfortunately the forum doesn't allow the upload of .wav or .zip files, and I don't have something to convert it to a different format. Any suggestions?

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
The horn looks wonderful! And thanks for the step by step descriptions with photos... a big plus for those of us who are beginning hornworkers.
Cole,upload it on rapidshare or somewhere else,and post here the link to download it from there. :wink:
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I have a horn as well that I would like to convert. At present it is 20 inches long and in decent shape. I got it at an antique store. I like your horn it is very well done. Kudos! Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Just come accross this thread, don't know why I missed it previously.

I really like the sounding horn, you have obviously put a great deal of effort into making this right. I also make sounding horns from a variety of different materials as my research focuses specifically on music and sensory perceptions in prehistory.

I gave a couple of papers on this at the Theoretical Archaeology Group conference in December 2008 & again at the ASA's in Bristol in April of last year. You may wish to have a listen to the piece I composed in my studio that was used in the audio/visual presentation for the papers. The horns used have a slightly different quality depending on the breed of the cattle. For example, my horns are from breeds potentially traced to ancient breeds of european cattle as far as can be discerned - such as White Park and Highland. I also put a Kudu horn in there too.. it's not strictly authentic, but the sound from the beast can be heard nearly 3km away (as tested in the Kilmartin Valley, Argyll Scotland).

http://www.2shared.com/file/11129385/4d ... ovine.html

You should record the horn and put the file on a sharing/hosting website, thats usually the quickest and easiest way to share it.

Great work!

Claire
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I keep getting some IQ test page when I try to download that file...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It seemed to be fine for me...

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you should get a tiny little link which says 'save to pc - click here'

I thought it might have expired, but it seemed ok when I tried
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Very impressive! Makes me appreciate all the times Alexander and the Macedonian army were commanded by the blast of an instrument (this list is by no means comprehensive):

Arrian An. 3.18 Alexander uses a trumpet sound to coordinate an attack on the Persians guarding the Persian Gates; Arrian An. 4.4 Alexander once again leads the way across a river after the sounding of trumpets; Arrian An. 5.23 and 5.24 there is an example of a bugler being used to coordinate an assault on Sangala in India; in Plutarch Alex. 25.2 a trumpet sounds the signal to attack Tyre; Plut. Alex. 51.6 a trumpeter is ordered to sound off in the brawl with Cleitus but resists and is later rewarded for not throwing the camp into disarray; Diodorus 16.4.7 in the attack against Bardylis and the Illyrians, Philip recalls his victorious troops with a trumpet call; Diodorus 17.11.3 "trumpets blew the call to arms"; Diodorus 17.27.4 Alexander orders his troops to retire with a trumpet call'; Diodorus 17.45.7 Alexander recalls his troops with a trumpet call at Tyre; Diodorus 17.58.1 both sides (Macedonian and Persian) sounded the attack at Gaugamela with trumpets; Diodorus 17.68.3 at the Susian Rock Alexander recalls his troops from battle who are being attacked with a trumpet signal; Diodorus 17.86.5 Alexander ordered his "trumpeters to sound the call to arms"; Diodorus 17.89.1 after the battle with Prous, Alexander "ordered the trumpets to sound the recall."; Diodorus 17.106.7 trumpets blasting to scare away whales while at sea
Scott B.
I have this sounding/drinking horn that I bought from a "ren" fair. I am asking for tips on how to make a sound other than a "high pitched, wet fart" :lol: Confusedhock: :lol: Thanks!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Wow that is a beautiful, certainly a big step up from the usual blowing horns which are just a plain cow horn with the tip off cut off to blow through. Big Grin
Stuart