Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parthian warrior
czolem,
there is this very intersting stucco image of a warrior form the Zahak castle http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Architect ... castle.htm
in Iran . I am not sure if this subject has been discussed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zahha ... ucco_2.JPG
he appears to have a long Galatian (Celtic) or Roman infantry shield, so perhaps he is an infantryman. Perhaps a javelin, a curved knife behind his belt, A kandys/ kantus (Median Robe) over his shoulders, loose pants and boots...
His robe is hiked up and held up by the arrangement similar to this image of the Armeno-Parthian king of Media (Comagene) with Heracles himself Smile
and different from this typical image of a Parthian http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ ... anking.jpg or this
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16166/16 ... ate008.jpg or Mithradates on horseback http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xong- ... relief.jpg
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
That's important piece of iconography indeed. Its relation to depictions of Antiochus VII of Commagene seem to support its date in I century BC. Going further there is a terracota from Niniveh depicting a man in Parthian dress with large oval shield but going back in time we would find a terracota from Kampyr Tepe with armored and helmeted warrior with sword and similar shield. This one comes from more less Greko-Bactria and is attributed as depiction of thyreophoroi or legionary-like type of infantry introduced in 160's BC in different Hellenistic armies. Another group of depictions which come to my mind are the "Galatian" soldiers of Bosporan Kingdom, who wear attire quite similar to Niniveh warrior. Anyway - large, oval thyreos does not seem anything very special in Western Asia (it is present on some Sasanian art-pieces) however however the warrior on the stucco from Zahak castle is depicted in exceptionally detailed manner and proves clearly that Parthians must have had relively efficient infantry.
The curved blade tucked by the belt is clearly related IMHO with weapons found in Old Nisa. The spear heads seem however rather exaggerated. I wander whether he had a helmet or pointed hat on his head...
Patryk N. Skupniewicz
This is indeed an important discovery relating to the early Parthian military; it was published earlier this year in the magazine Slingshot by Nigel Tallis, though with only a brief writeup and a poor-quality photograph.

Quote:That's important piece of iconography indeed. Its relation to depictions of Antiochus VII of Commagene seem to support its date in I century BC. Going further there is a terracota from Niniveh depicting a man in Parthian dress with large oval shield but going back in time we would find a terracota from Kampyr Tepe with armored and helmeted warrior with sword and similar shield. This one comes from more less Greko-Bactria and is attributed as depiction of thyreophoroi or legionary-like type of infantry introduced in 160's BC in different Hellenistic armies. Another group of depictions which come to my mind are the "Galatian" soldiers of Bosporan Kingdom, who wear attire quite similar to Niniveh warrior. Anyway - large, oval thyreos does not seem anything very special in Western Asia (it is present on some Sasanian art-pieces) however however the warrior on the stucco from Zahak castle is depicted in exceptionally detailed manner and proves clearly that Parthians must have had relively efficient infantry.
The curved blade tucked by the belt is clearly related IMHO with weapons found in Old Nisa. The spear heads seem however rather exaggerated. I wander whether he had a helmet or pointed hat on his head...

This type of shield, the thyreos, was probably the commonest shield in the Hellenistic world, and it was in use among just about all nationalities who fought for the Hellenistic kingdoms from about the middle of the 3rd c. BC. Figurines of Greeks, Iranians, and Celts carrying such shields have been found in the Near East at Seleucia on the Tigris, Babylon, Nineveh, Uruk, Nippur, and Susa; representations of Iranians or Babylonians equipped with thyreoi have been found on other pieces of Hellenistic art as well.

I agree entirely that this piece is very likely 1st c. BC in date based on the costume, and I think that the headgear is very likely a Hellenistic helmet like that found on the two heads of warrior sculptures from Old Nisa.

A great find, and thanks for posting the image, Dariusz!
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:I agree entirely that this piece is very likely 1st c. BC in date based on the costume, and I think that the headgear is very likely a Hellenistic helmet like that found on the two heads of warrior sculptures from Old Nisa.

My guess for reconstruction of the gear of the Nisa warriors would be muscle cuirass with pteryges which was probably the body protection of some standing clay figures from Nisa. Naturally there is no evidence that the helmeted heads and parts of nodies came from the same figures however they seem supplementory in the light of so-called Areses form Old Nisa rythons.
On the other hand the decorations of Nisa helmet cheekpieces is virtually the same as the one on the Kampyr Tepe warriors shield. It is a good point of yours.
Patryk N. Skupniewicz
Quote:On the other hand the decorations of Nisa helmet cheekpieces is virtually the same as the one on the Kampyr Tepe warriors shield. It is a good point of yours.

It's an extremely common Hellenistic symbol - the lightning bolt of Olympian Zeus. It's just a generic symbol for power, and so it is found everywhere in Hellenistic military imagery (along with the goddess Nike and the gorgon's head).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:
Roxofarnes:1cmzlnks Wrote:On the other hand the decorations of Nisa helmet cheekpieces is virtually the same as the one on the Kampyr Tepe warriors shield. It is a good point of yours.

It's an extremely common Hellenistic symbol - the lightning bolt of Olympian Zeus. It's just a generic symbol for power, and so it is found everywhere in Hellenistic military imagery (along with the goddess Nike and the gorgon's head).
True. If we don not assume that it linked Asian hellenistic infantry yhan there would be no link between head from Nisa and Zahak castle infantryman. It is better to admit that the warriors headgear is unknown...
Patryk N. Skupniewicz
I notice the counter-weight on the spear shaft. Is this an example of the Persian "Apple" that I have read about?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:True. If we don not assume that it linked Asian hellenistic infantry yhan there would be no link between head from Nisa and Zahak castle infantryman. It is better to admit that the warriors headgear is unknown...

I suspect it may be an Attic helmet because the portion that does remain looks similar to one, not necessarily because the two warriors' heads from Old Nisa were wearing them - that is just an incidental example that I brought up. Anyway, this supposition is only valid if the curve at the top of the headgear isn't a break.
Ruben

Quote:I notice the counter-weight on the spear shaft. Is this an example of the Persian "Apple" that I have read about?
I can not see that in this depiction however decorative or symbolic counterweights at the spear butts were present in the Sasanian iconography. I like the practicality of the idea (it makes effecitve length of the spear longer without extending its true length) however it might have purely symbolic dimension in art.
Patryk N. Skupniewicz
Quote:
Roxofarnes:1tkb0m71 Wrote:True. If we don not assume that it linked Asian hellenistic infantry yhan there would be no link between head from Nisa and Zahak castle infantryman. It is better to admit that the warriors headgear is unknown...

I suspect it may be an Attic helmet because the portion that does remain looks similar to one, not necessarily because the two warriors' heads from Old Nisa were wearing them - that is just an incidental example that I brought up. Anyway, this supposition is only valid if the curve at the top of the headgear isn't a break.
Equally well it could be a felt hat. However this reminds me of Ammianus account stating that Persian (400 years later) infantry remided murmilliones - could that mean a helmet, shield and sword in 4th cent AD? Almost the same attire except the reconstructed spear or javelin.
Patryk N. Skupniewicz
Quote:Equally well it could be a felt hat. However this reminds me of Ammianus account stating that Persian (400 years later) infantry remided murmilliones - could that mean a helmet, shield and sword in 4th cent AD? Almost the same attire except the reconstructed spear or javelin.

It absolutely could be; the only way we can tell is if it can be discerned upon closer inspection whether the top of the headgear was broken off or not.
Ruben