Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic D reconstruction
Wow, "Avrificina Treverica"-style superb Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: !!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Amazing work Jurjen! :o
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
very nice indeed Big Grin ...very clear and sharp details ...good work !
Jurjen.

It is looking good and I am very impressed the more I see of your work there is much improvement each time.
Brian Stobbs
Excellent work. I like the tinning look.

I am trying to find someone who will put silver foil on my helmet so that it would be like the originals. I do not want to use modern plating since it would require my helmet to be coated with copper first. This being something that I do not think would have been done.

Anyway, it is a sweet looking helmet.

BTW, where did you get the coral? The only red coral I ever come by is dyed coral. I cannot seem to find Mediteranean naturally red coral.

I think however, that you could also have used some sort of enameling. Even if you did not use actual enamel but some paste that resembles it I think would have been fine. The reason I mention this is that Robinsons suggests coral but the original paper by Lindneschmit, to my recollection, only mentions enamel.

Brian told me that he has found objects that looked like enamel but were indeed colorful pastes not enamel.

Now all we need is a picture with you in all your kit.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Now all we need is a picture with you in all your kit.

A picture with me in ALL my kit? That is impossible. For a picture of me wearing this helmet we've to wait some more time, till it's finished. Hope to do little more work on it today and then I've to prepare for a trip to the UK, visiting Comitatus and getting on horseback, the Roman way, over the next couple of days. Big Grin

With coral, yeah, I'm not sure if the stuff I've used now is dyed or real. I think it's dyed, but it looks good and worked fine. I'll send you a PM with the source, as I actually got the stuff from the states. As for enamelling, we have discussed that at lenght in the past, and I agree enamel is as good or even better as the coral I've used now, but I went for the easy way, as my first experiments with doing this kind of decoration with enamel didn't work out the way I wanted. Not to say that I'll probably do some more trials with that, as I'm already thinking about 'pimping' my DPK gallic F helmet, as I remember correctly the Becason helmet also has this kind of decorations.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Now all we need is a picture with you in all your kit.

Okay, here it is, sort off. Just did the final rosettes with the rings on the inside for helmet closure, so I was finally able to put it on my head and close it. Have to do some proper padding, still. So, here you go. For the picture I put on my colourful subarmalis Big Grin

[Image: CIMG0569.jpg]

Note that the left cheekpiece has just attached for the picture, so it isn't that nice alligned.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Those type of cheekplates do give a very good coverage for protection looking good !!
Brian Stobbs
This is why I sustain that fact that much work went into producing this helmet even back then making more likely to have belonged to someone of rank
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
And an update. Finally my helmet is ready. Or, at least ready to wear. As you might spot the crestbox is still missing. I've made it already, but I decided to not place it onto the helmet untill I get the crestholder ready and can use these two pieces together for determining the exact position the box is going to be.

Enjoy!

[Image: IMG_5011.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5012.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5013.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wow. Awesome!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That is one very fine helmet Jurjen. I can only see one potential flaw; you wearing it Big Grin

Really, a great piece of work that must have taken a lot of effort and concentration! I tip my hat...
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Jurjen.
That is looking very nice indeed all you need now is some good soft covering for the inside of the cheek plates
Brian Stobbs
Excellent work from one Gallic D fan to another.

Have you thought about a crest? I made one in white horse hair and it looks fantastic with this helmet. Red also looks very nice but not nearly so as the white.

In the impressions section I am wearing a red feather crest (I posted my centurio impression last night)

Paolo
Should we perhaps form a society of D owners, like a Beetle club?
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallic C, a reconstruction M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 19 3,750 12-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  reconstruction of Gallic G helmet Manius Acilius Italicus 26 6,087 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Manius Acilius Italicus
  New Imperial Gallic D Reconstruction Doc 29 6,769 11-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit