Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The World of Roman Costume" isbn 0-299-12854-2
"The World of Roman Costume" isbn 0-299-12854-2<br>
by Judith Lynn Sebesta & Larissa Bonfante<br>
University of Wisconsin Press, 2001<br>
<br>
It's a book my wife has been eagerly waiting having pre-ordered it some months ago.. and it came 2 or so months earlier than previously stated!<br>
<br>
The focus of the book is primarily civilian. It spans a period of several hundred years. It is comprised of a series of 13 essays addressing the range of Roman costume and styles including the toga, bride's costume, jewelry, shoes, cultural aspects of clothes, "outside" influences, color and textile as well as a chapter on reconstruction.... much of that appears at the Diotma website.<br>
<br>
Tons of photos and illustrations all B&W.... a serious mistake ......I'd've paid extra for color! A nice glossary.. starts off with terms for various colors ( my wife appreciated that) and then general terms. Well documented, well bibliographed ( I just wish that more of the Journals et al sited were easier to get ahold of!)... however there is a glaring omission.. no reference to Mr Bishop!.. shameful.. tsk, tsk..<br>
<br>
There's an excellent overview on textiles and dyes.<br>
<br>
I found the essay on shoes to be very useful... so did my wife..... and now I have several new projects .. shoes the wife wants.... See! It's been the same for centuries!!<br>
<br>
It's a keeper.<br>
<br>
Sean Richards<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
LEG IX HSPA<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Another in my growing wish list on Amazon. Speaking of shoes, did you read the Vindolanda book on leather shoes? Amazing collection that I wish they would publish: you can't take photos there but the range of styles and workmanship are remarkable. <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,906 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus