Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oval shields..
Dished is not a very exact term, I agree. The vertical curvature is indeed way less than the horizontal curvature, nonetheless there is a vertical curvature on the Dura shields. The Trier shields are published in the book I quoted above. They are equally curved horizontally and vertically.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
caiustarquitius,

I followed up on the Junkelmann book that you suggested through JSTOR, a semi-private database, and was only allowed to obtain access to the material by aquiring special access from them which also meant obtaining it from Junkelmann himself. I did manage to get a look at a late Roman shield reconstruction which was from a private collection (Archaeology Journal, JSTOR) and it does seem to have a slight taper both on the horizontal axis as well as the vertical, and this leads me to believe that the planks were tapered from the center outwards (nothing new, I'd imagine Sad ). I have come to the belief that some late Roman shields indeed had a slight convex shape to them but I can not find conclusive evidence supporting the deeply convex, tear-drop shaped (the cross-section) shields that late Romans supposedly used (not to step on anyone's toes, but the convex shape is sometimes overdone by reenactors). The shield that you made though, seems to be in line with the available evidence.
Jon Bartel

"The Roman soldiers, bred in war\'s alarms,
Bending with unjust loads and heavy arms,
Cheerful their toilsome marches undergo,
And pitch their sudden camp before the foe."
Guys,

I'm not saying that 'dished' is a better or worse word than 'convex', it's just the word we've been using over the years. It does not tell anything about the measure of taper of either the horizontal or vertical axis.

The actual number of LR shields is, sadly, very small. The Dura Europos shields might even be a bit too early for our purposes, but we are still using them becaause we have few better finds.. of course, the shields were found under a tower, and we can no longer tell for sure if they were once flat or not. Many think, however, that they were flattened.

Most 'real' nformation comes from the study of shield bosses though. I was assured many years ago (by Holger Ratsdorf) that LR shield bosses never fit a flat shield, but a 'dished' shield.

We do see'dished' shields in Roman art, which satisfies me that the shape we are using is correct.

not many Late Roman re-enactors own a dished shield, so who are you referring when you say that:
Quote:I can not find conclusive evidence supporting the deeply convex, tear-drop shaped (the cross-section) shields that late Romans supposedly used (not to step on anyone's toes, but the convex shape is sometimes overdone by reenactors)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I'm not saying that 'dished' is a better or worse word than 'convex', it's just the word we've been using over the years.
And, quoting myself, if anyone has problems with the word 'dished', I can offer the word 'lenticular' as an alternative that we've used in the discussion of these shields over the past years.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:24sxbbgp Wrote:I'm not saying that 'dished' is a better or worse word than 'convex', it's just the word we've been using over the years.
And, quoting myself, if anyone has problems with the word 'dished', I can offer the word 'lenticular' as an alternative that we've used in the discussion of these shields over the past years.

Betraying my ignorance, 'Dished ' sound perfectly clear to me! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oval shields c. 190 C.E. LvpvsRomanvs 6 2,289 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Oval Shields from Dura Europos Matt Lukes 11 4,425 07-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes