Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern testudo photos
I was fascinated by these Associated Press photographs of a modern testudo-like formation by Honduran forces.

[url:umfzof66]http://blogs.tampabay.com/.a/6a00d83451b05569e2011570974888970c-900wi[/url]
[url:umfzof66]http://blogs.tampabay.com/.a/6a00d83451b05569e20115718c71fc970b-900wi[/url]

These men seem (from these few photos) to be struggling... I can't tell if they might be charged with gaining control without really employing deadly force, perhaps putting them into an unenviable defensive mode.

This may have already been discussed, but I would be interested to hear any opinions from RAT members who have studied similar Roman tactics or who have maybe received this kind of training in their professions.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
I've noticed this too. In this EU Civil Disturbance exercise they used it against "rioters." Click on the top picture for a good view. It looks nice and clean, but of course it is only training and people really aren't trying to bash their brains in.

I guess it is hard to improve on such a great formation.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Wow that is a great read, David! Thanks!
Kelsey McLeod
Confusedhock: :roll: :twisted:
Priceless first hand experience :lol:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Gentlemen, I would daresay that the distribution of literature that grants information on how to effectively disrupt the lawful execution of duty by any country's civil powers, is at BEST, frowned upon. Not to mention, any manual that instructs it's readers on how to "armour up" and use tactics for demonstrations is certainly NOT for continuing such demonstrations in a peaceful, lawful manner.

I would ask politely Dave, that you remove that link. I would also ask that anyone else who reads it, or stumbles upon other literature that while it is interesting, do your best not to promote such things. In fact, I've already forwarded that link to our intelligence branch, so it may not be a good idea to be clicking on it anyway.

Legion: TBD
Matt, I appreciate your objection in that no rational RAT participants would want any information posted here used to harm anybody or subvert the civil order where they live. I would not take it personally if the link or the thread for that matter were removed.

I believe it is understood, but I would like to say that my purpose in raising the question was to gain a better understanding of Roman Army tactics, which of course revolve around the coordinated use of force by trained professionals. Naturally, I took the link that David provided in the same spirit of open academic-oriented discourse, which is clearly how it was intended.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
No worries...lol. And it IS interesting, just not...hmmmm...appropriate I suppose given the context it was in.

Legion: TBD
Actually, looking at some of the 'Testudo' formations adopted by the Law Enforcement agencies in the article, perhaps they should be sent the link, as they seem to be rather poor at forming a decent testudo form the looks of it.. :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The tone that I read out of that pdf was subversive at best. Well beyond civil disobedience and openly advocated violence against emergency personnel well within their duties.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Yes, undoubtedly the football hooligans will latch onto this with glee. :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel