Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HANNIBAL UNIFORM
Hi All,
this my first post, so here goes...
I'm an artist and have been comissioned to illustrate Hannibal for a book on Rome and her enemies. The reference I have been given is for a figure wearing a helmet of the type shown in the well known bust of Hannibal (you know the one where he looks like a broken nosed boxer wearing a kids plastic helmet!)The rest is guess work, but the author is suggesting a mail shirt similar the the roman type and bronze greaves.
I just wondered if anyone had some suggestions of their own as I would assume Hannibals uniform might be something more impressive.Would a leather muscled cuirass with leather straps forming a skirt be possible? Helmet suggestions would also be much appreciated
thanks in advance
Simon
There have been dozens of arguments posed concerning leather musculata. The most common conclusion is that there is no evidence for such armor, though bronze musculata breast/back plates have been found in a Roman context. I can't say specifically about Carthagenian armor at the time of the Punic Wars, though. Hannibal was a general, and would have had access to the best, fanciest, most effective armor of his day.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi Simon, welcome to RAT Big Grin

You might get more by posting this in the Allies and Enemies of Rome section- given that Hannibal was Carthaginian, and that's where the folks who might know Carthage better would probably be...

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I would say a very good start for your own research on this uniform would be Ancient Warfare magazine III.4, which had the Barcid family as theme.
[url:28ca2fvo]http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/ancient-warfare/issues/ancient-warfare-4-2009.html[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Hi Simon, welcome to RAT Big Grin

You might get more by posting this in the Allies and Enemies of Rome section- given that Hannibal was Carthaginian, and that's where the folks who might know Carthage better would probably be...

Matt

thanks guys, and Matt, yes I will re post this in the section you mention.
Jvrjenivs, thanks for the link. Thats a great site, great artwork too! I'm going to order the Varus Disaster special edition as I'm fascinated by that. Is there an edition featuring the battle of Thermopylae in detail I wonder?
Quote:Is there an edition featuring the battle of Thermopylae in detail I wonder?
Not so far! Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine