Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for Vimose style seax
Hello,
I'm looking for a source to obtain a replice of an Early Germanic (i.e 1st Century) seax, preferably like the Vimose seax. Does anyone know a manufacturer that makes this type of replica?

Cheers,
Vihirma
Vihirma
Marwin Albertema
I don't think anyone manufactures them. It may be possible to get a custom piece from Iron Age Armoury or someone along those lines. Jake Powning has done one, but he's pretty high-end and takes some artistic licence.

MRL's "Crusader Sax" had a very similar hilt, though the blade profile was quite different and shorter, and of course the sheath was a simple leather knife sheath. It's no longer in production, but lots of retailers apparently still have some.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
What level of detail you needing ? Langsaxes are fairly easy to make out of mild steel or even modifing from other blades, Ive been meaning to experement reworking cornknives and some of the new sax bladed machettes (fitting desgn probably a better blade then 99% of whats issued worldwide) these methods usualy will produce a nice overall blade but generally your looking at a flat blade with only the area of the edge angled

the MRLs or some of the imports on ebay may serve for a nice base for a rework , to make look less factory produced
I'm looking for a seax that matches the Vimose example when it comes to general appearance, I'm not looking for an exact copy. I do have some Langseaxes that could potentially be reworked to a Vimose style seax. I have seen some pictures of reeanctors depicting 1st Century AD Germanic warriors equipped with Vimose style seaxs and the associated wood scabbard so I was curious if these can be purchased somewhere.
Vihirma
Marwin Albertema
Albion has a brand new sword called "The Cherusker" that I think you'll like.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb ... rusker.htm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another seax dave74 6 2,005 01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Diocle
  Vimose war knife Andy 6 2,743 04-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Ironhand