Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Vexillum
[Image: Vexillum_1C.JPG]

First attempt at a Vexillum. I got the studs and terminals from Clang. The knobs on the crossbar are drawer pulls; I cut the heads off the screws and sank them into the bar ends then fashioned some hangers for the dangliums. The knobs hold those pieces in place. The linen is Ultramarine Blue (yep, I know the one found is red and the remnants of paint are too) from the Fabrics-Store.com, hand sewn with linen thread. The lettering is stenciled on, using acrylic fabric paint I'm afraid. I made and cut the stencils as well as did the actual stenciling, but for some reason I now have an urge to embroider them with silver thread, I have no idea why. The fringe is cotton and commercially obtained.

I want to do another using the pegasus image and with fringe I make myself. I'm happy with this as a first time attempt and trial run.

I'll get another image of it with the shaft outdoors when I've a chance and conditions are good for it; the shaft is too tall with butt spike and spear head to stand in the apartment.

Hopefully this post displays the picture...have at it guys.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
Looks great...I'd leave the letters painted...no evidence of embroidery, and the ones I have saw that incorporate this look like they are from a thrift store lol. I like the colour, looks sharp! Not a fan of the fringe...some nice wool-yarn by hand is the way to go, but that's a very minor point.

By far one of the snaziest looking vex's. Well done!

Legion: TBD
Thank you kindly! Smile

I won't embroider it, I just had that impulse. Not sure why, but after thinking about it I'm leaving it alone.

I agree on the fringe; I intend to make some and replace the commercial stuff with some wool I make myself.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Quote:with fringe I make myself
I did that once, using a drill to overtwist the yarn, then let it ply back on itself. Had a little challenge getting all the fringe pieces the same length, but managed to make it work. I think a measure like used for tying a net would be smart.

How do you plan to make your fringe? Be sure to include some explanation for those of us who'd like to learn.

BTW, it takes quite a bit more yarn than I thought it would. And capturing the upper end is a trick, too. I cheated, but I'd like to learn how to do it right.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I haven't decided exactly. I know a drill can be used, as can a simple wooden dowel as a handle, but I have some friends deeply into textiles, from shearing through dying, spinning, weaving and so on who have made fringe before so I'm going to ask them first. One of them also makes fishing nets so I can ask him for suggestions too.

I spin and weave too, but I've never made fringe. I might spin my own yarn for it though; I have a goodly amount of white wool... I'd use a drop spindle instead of a spinning wheel.

Certainly once I get it sorted out I'll post how I did it. Smile

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Great work!

I personally have no worries about using acrylic paint, it'll be durable in the inevitable weather and use/abuse over time.

I like the blue and silver, it looks sharp!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Thanks! I had considered casein paint but decided to go with the acrylic fabric paint; I figured it might last longer.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
You can also use oil paint, there is evidence of oil-paint on a roman textile (a wall carpet) from the Abegg-foundation´s collection.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ah! Thanks for that info. Smile I'll give that a try with the next one.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Quote:Thank you kindly! Smile

I won't embroider it, I just had that impulse. Not sure why, but after thinking about it I'm leaving it alone.

I agree on the fringe; I intend to make some and replace the commercial stuff with some wool I make myself.

Rutilia

Wool yarn works great. I'm at work now, but when I get home I will try to explain how to do it with small lengths of yarn, about 3-4 inches long, that you thread through a needle...doesn't require any stitching per se.

Legion: TBD
That would be excellent, thanks Magnus! I look forward to it, when you've got the time. Smile

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
The sewn-on fringes look always a bit odd to me, also on e.g. pterges. I would expect them rather to be made from the warp threads.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I wouldn't be at all surprised since a lot of garments were made that way in various cultures.

I can weave; I plan to weave a tunic over the winter, and I can spin so I'll probably spin the yarn for the fringe on the current vex as well as the other one.

Interesting thing to consider. I might give it a go at some point just because I've not tried that before. For the moment though I'll stick with an added fringe either like it is now, or strands of wool stitched through the vex fabric and then stitched down to keep or something similar.

Thanks! Smile

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Sculptural evidence seems to indicate that the fringe "threads" are much thicker than the warp that the pteruges are woven from, but it is hard to know how much is artistic, and how much is accurately dimensionally portrayed. Also, it seems like there's not an easy way to get different colored fringe if the fringe is not sewn on. Just a couple of thoughts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yep, it would be rather difficult to get a different color fringe if using the warp in the usual manner. I suspect it is more likely threaded through with a needle rather than integral to the body of the vex itself. As you say, rather hard to know.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet