Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ludus Militis (US)
I don't think LacusCurtius has a forum, meaning a place where people can talk to each other in a structured environmnent like here on RAT. (Although this might depend upon one's actual definition of "forum.") If there is one, I've never seen it. It is, however, chock full of priceless articles and other goodies. Bill Thayer has done a stunning job on that site; I love it.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Is that what you were looking for, Robert? Hope that helps.
Aww, is that all? Of course i'm on the Batavi forum, and Lacus Curtius is known to all. I misread it as if it was a ref to an unknown LR forum... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yep, you're right, Epictetus. No forum there. The point was, that site has no direct connection to RAT, and the Batavi site is a very similar forum to RAT, but no connection except for membership. Nobody seems to dispute their validity for being separate, is what I was trying to say. We ought to have the same privilege, seems to me, so that's what we did. I am frankly a little surprised at having to defend that freedom, but so it goes.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Again, you are over-reacting and mis-representing the situation Dave. You were asked some questions and comments were made about this new site. What you have done are answer them. You are not "defending" it's "freedom", so please do not try and spin the situation as such.

Legion: TBD
I hope David Wills does not have to "lawyer up" to justify the new site. Confusedhock: I have registered, mostly since the site might be an advantage to US interest. Most re-enactors seem to be European and British, which is understandable due to artifacts and archaeology.

The difficulty in America is that most people do not pay attention to anything prior to 1775. Re-enactment tends toward overweight 50 year olds fighting the Battle of Gettysburg, and some bring along their ladies. I have discussed my interests (the later western Empire 300 to 500 AD) with historically minded people and their eyes glaze over. I have spoken to my two kids and their cousin, all about 8 to 10 y.o., about doing something, and surprisingly they seem interested - for the moment. From other threads I know re-enactors on this site involve their families, and it would be good to do that here as well.

So here we are a long way from the limes. The more interest the better! Hopefully others will register too.
Mike Benedict
Quote: I have spoken to my two kids and their cousin, all about 8 to 10 y.o., about doing something, and surprisingly they seem interested - for the moment. From other threads I know re-enactors on this site involve their families, and it would be good to do that here as well.

I involve the grand kids and sometimes their friends and they are happy to participate.
Below is a visit to a local park. Other events I have taken grandkids to include Lafe, Casta Roma, Roman Days and a Legio V visit to Austin Peay University.
I will teach them the drill from the new manual and make a demonstration video when it warms up.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:
Chlodovicus:2xjek261 Wrote:I have spoken to my two kids and their cousin, all about 8 to 10 y.o., about doing something, and surprisingly they seem interested - for the moment. From other threads I know re-enactors on this site involve their families, and it would be good to do that here as well.

I involve the grand kids and sometimes their friends and they are happy to participate.
Below is a visit to a local park. Other events I have taken grandkids to include Lafe, Casta Roma, Roman Days and a Legio V visit to Austin Peay University.
I will teach them the drill from the new manual and make a demonstration video when it warms up.

Thanks, John. BTW the Legio V website is great.

Where did you get the "kid-size" caligae and their mail armor? (My son and his cousin think caligae are cool; My daughter is the soleae type Smile )

My interest personally is more the later empire when the old army shoe was unlikely to be found along the Rhine, but US re-enactors seem to be almost all of the high imperial period(s). If their interest will be in that time, that is OK.
Mike Benedict
[/quote]

Thanks, John. BTW the Legio V website is great.

Where did you get the "kid-size" caligae and their mail armor? (My son and his cousin think caligae are cool; My daughter is the solae type Smile )

My interest personally is more the later empire when the old army shoe was unlikely to be found along the Rhine, but US re-enactors seem to be almost all of the high imperial period(s). If their interest will be in that time, that is OK.[/quote]

The equipment in the photos is sourced as follows:
Caligua : Size 8 from Par Fabrica and Deepeeka Size 5 from another reenactor and some commercial sandals filing in where needed.
Hamatas: Various sources include Find it Armory and Ebay
Small helmet and Lorica Segmentatia: Daniyal Steelcrafts custom order
Regular size helmets: Deepeeka or Deepeeka clones from Find it Armory'
Belts: one from DSC by way of SOTW the remainder from Deepeeka
Pugios: All Deepeeka
Gladii: Various sources
Shields: One Deepeeka Remainder made by me
Standard: Made by me from wood and brass items from second hand stores
Barbarian Helmet: Conversion of a SCA type Dark Ages period helmet
Also sending you a PM
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
John, thank you so much for the help. I will visit all the sites to research what they have available. I know about Par Fabrica and they have a good reputation - expensive though for kids. They can a) lose interest or b) outgrow everything in 15 minutes. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Mike Benedict
JOhn has some pics of a "store bought" hand cut out "cheapie" caligae on the ludusmilitis.org site that actually looks better than some we used to use on the field a few years back. Before the arms race!
Glad I heard about the site.
I'm going to register as well. Thank heavens for those like Matt Amt, just to name a few who put things out there in the first place. I too have run into the "glassy-eyed stare" when trying to discuss ANY Roman re-enactment with others...especially in the Dayton area....and we have several quality colleges in the area. Go figure :?
Thanks for letting me get that off my cuirass Smile
Salve,
Vitruvius a.k.a Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ludus Militis Reenactment Website improvements jkaler48 1 1,036 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Tita Iuventia Martia
  Ludus Militis Tactica (Nederlandse versie) jkaler48 5 1,989 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat