Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IGE 02 (Vienna)
[url:3i03u4y2]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,103/Itemid,96/[/url]

I was wondering why the helmet is in the database dated like it is, since the tomb whence it derives dates safely between 30 and 10 BCE?
See:
M. Gustin, Posocje in der jüngeren Eissenzeit. Catalogi et monographiae 27. Ljubljana 1991.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Helloooo00000ooooo? Echooooo0000000ooo? Smile
Christian K.

The date is presumably from Robinson's The Armor of Imperial Rome (p. 55). He based it on purely stylistic criteria.

The helmet database is a highly useful tool but it is unavoidable that it contains large amounts or problematic datings or typological allocations and also many errors.

Maybe it would be helpful to add a field for user comments/feedback to the database entries so that these issues could be addressed directly in the database rather than in this thread which is viewed only by a few afficionados.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
That'd be nice, but the system we use (bought actuall for 100 euros!) to display the imagebase and helmet db, has been unsupported by the developers for years. :evil: :evil: So, what we need to do is find a new system, migrate the lot and then add a comment option.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
May the developers be chastised, crucified, etc... ! :twisted:
Christian K.

Are there any pictures of this helmet?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

If you PM me your email address, I can send you some pictures by email later this week.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany