Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolus E Cheek Guards
In the database of Coolus E helmets, only one appears to have the original cheek guards intact - the Walbrook (link from old RAT).

Peroni referred to them as 'Kew' plates in this posting: link from old RAT.

I was wondering if the shape of these cheek guards, distinct from those typical of Coolus C/D, are a defining feature of the E type. Not having any other sources, I'm guessing yes, but I'd be very interested to learn more.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Actually the cheek pieces were not found together with this helmet. I am not aware of a single Coolus helmet ever found with this type of cheek piece. All Coolus helmets, I am aware of, which were associated with cheek pieces, had the simple type without ear recess.

In the Articles Section there is a summary of Robinson's typology and for the Coolus 'E the criteria appear to be the following.

* Bowl height varies considerably in this group.
* Reinforcing peak is a flat, curved strip of bronze, riveted at each end to the skull and tongued at the centre where it is passed through a slot in the front of the skull and is then bent over.
* Lower rim, although 'knocked back', seldom shows more than a slight projecting lip, which may continue around the upper edge of the neck guard.
* Crest knobs are slotted from front to back.

I do not recollect that Robinson gives any reasons for associating this type of cheek piece with Coolus helmets but I presume that the reason was that they broadly fit into the same chronological bracket, the majority of Imperial Gallic helmets are iron whereas these cheek pieces are bronze, and that there were very few Coolus helmets known to be associated with any type of cheek piece at that time (the Xanten-Waardt helmets had not yet been discovered). From today' perspective it could be considered equally likely that all Coolus helmets had the simple cheek pieces and that these more elaborate bronze cheek pieces belong to Imperial Gallic types.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:Actually the cheek pieces were not found together with this helmet. I am not aware of a single Coolus helmet ever found with this type of cheek piece. All Coolus helmets, I am aware of, which were associated with cheek pieces, had the simple type without ear recess.

Thank you - that is very good information which I was unaware of.

Although a late-comer to the helmet taxonomy conversation, I am starting to appreciate the viewpoints expressed in that thread. Your thoughts regarding the differing cheek guards being more indicative of contemporary trends than a factor in Robinson's Coolus definitions help me to eliminate features that are extraneous to that typology (at least for the Coolus/late Montefortino group).

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod