Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gibbon\'s "Decline..."
All, Amazon.com has October '93 versions of Edward Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", all six volumes for around $82 plus s/h. For that price, I'd like to have a set just for kicks. What is your opinion of this older work as for a shelf reference? <p></p><i></i>
I would leave it on the shelf, mate. Honestly, it's fairly inaccurate which is a shame since it's still considered such an authoratative work in a lot of circles. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Yes it is inaccurate and even some mechanisms he invokes to explain the decline and fall are very out dated but his stlye is magnificent. I am not the only person to think his english prose is the very best. So even if he is inaccurate try reading it as a work of art. Change your expectations (your way of reading it) and I am convinced you will learn to enjoy it.<br>
Just for fun try reading this example. An experiment: stand up and read it OUT LOUD. Try it.<br>
<br>
"It was the fashion of the times to attribute every remarkable event to the particular will of the Deity; the alterations of nature were connected, by an invisible chain, with the moral and metaphysical opinions of the human mind; and the most sagacious divines could distinguish, according to the colour of their respective prejudices, that the establishment of heresy tended to produce an earthquake, or that a deluge was the inevitable consequence of the progress of sin and error. Without presuming to discuss the truth or propriety of these lofty speculations, the historian may content himself with an observation, which seems to be justified by experience, that man has much more to fear from the passions of his fellow-creatures than from the convulsions of the elements. The mischievous effects of an earthquake or deluge, a hurricane, or the eruption of a volcano, bear a very inconsiderable proportion to the ordinary calamities of war, as they are now moderated by the prudence or humanity of the princes of Europe, who amuse their own leisure, and exercise the courage of their subjects, in the practice of the military art." <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 8/7/01 3:29:25 pm<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
There's no argument that his writing is eloquent. When compared to other writers of his period, it doesn't appear any more or less spectacular. I'd rather spend 10 bucks and get some Samuel Pepys than 100 to get some Gibbon. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
I truely suspect that a hundred years from now some people will still know who Gibbon was while practically everyone will not of heard of "Sam who?"<br>
I also disagree that other writers of Gibbon's period are equivalent in elequence but will acknowledge it was typical of his period to try to be. Besides eloquence he was also deep, as the passage I proposed shows. And that is hard to beat. I think certain authors should be read not necessarily because they are true or up-to-date but they are inspiring, reminding us of how far or how small a distance we have gone since then. Any way you can find Gibbon un-abridged for very little in used book markets. ciao for now <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone read Edward Gibbon? Virilis 21 4,209 07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rkmvca1
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,873 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus