Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan and the Dacian Wars
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some quality information about the life and rule of Trajan, as well as his Dacian Wars. Any suggested sites? Books? Articles?

Much appreciated.

-Clint
-Clint Rees
I would look for any of the literature on the letters of Pliny which give interesting insights into how things went on in that time. I can't remember where off hand but it has been said that Trajan when he came to power began to lower the boom on provincial spending, it has been said of Pliny that when he was governor of Pontus and Bythinia he was hopless and had to be constantly asking the Emperor's opinion of this that and everything.

This was not the case for with all situations there would have been a constant crossover of administative paperwork from all governors to their Emperor which would of course keep a good check on what was going on anywhere.
Brian Stobbs
A good overview you'll find in Cambridge Ancient History, vol. XI (2nd ed., 2000), chapter I.2, "Nerva to Trajan" by Miriam Griffin (p. 84-131)
Drago?
Many thanks for the input!

-Clint
-Clint Rees
Quote: it has been said of Pliny that when he was governor of Pontus and Bythinia he was hopless and had to be constantly asking the Emperor's opinion of this that and everything.

This was not the case for with all situations there would have been a constant crossover of administative paperwork from all governors to their Emperor which would of course keep a good check on what was going on anywhere.

I've wondered about that too. It seems some governors were very autonomous while Pliny seemed like he had to ask opinions / directions on everything. Or perhaps each emperor was different on how much he wanted to be consulted and how much he would delegate?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Where we learn how Pliny was a prolific writer one can imagine the Emperor Trajan receiving his mail and muttering "oh my god it's not Pliny again"
Brian Stobbs
On Dacian Wars

"Trajan's Column and Dacian Wars" by Lino Rossi is very useful
There's a good chapter on the subject on "Trajan: Optimus Princeps" by Bennett. Very good book by the way.

Very few literary sources. Dio and almost nothing else.

I highly recommend this one: SIMON STEFAN, A. (2005). Les guerres daciques de Domitien et de Trajan. Architecture militaire, topographie, images et historie. Roma.

The best book on the subject by far. No english translation I'm afraid.

Other options:
WILKES, J.J. (1983). “Romans, Dacians and Sarmatians”. Rome and Her Northern Provinces. Gloucester.
DIACONESCU, A. (1997). "Dacia under Trajan. Some observations on Roman tactics and strategry". Acta Musei Napocensis.

Interesting chapter aswell on Goldsworthy's "In the Name of Rome"
Bob
Just to let you know that the whole of Stefan's book is available for free online (read only, no printing or copying) at:

[url:3bfgq2w4]http://digital.casalini.it/2728306389[/url]
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Wow, vielen dank!

I knew there was a lot of informed people on this site, but I'm overly impressed with how eager everyone is to share. It's certainly appreciated! I'll be tacking more on to my wishlist, that's for sure!

Thanks!

-Clint
-Clint Rees
How about Peter Connolly's The Legionary and The Cavalryman? Both deal with the Dacian/Roman wars.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Flaminio wrote:
Quote:"Trajan's Column and Dacian Wars" by Lino Rossi is very useful

...while of some limited use, this rather old book is filled with many innacuracies, and should be treated with caution - it is really only useful to someone with considerable knowledge of the subject.

I would recommend:
"Trajan's Column" Frank Lepper and Sheppard Frere 1988 pub: Alan Sutton publishing inc, USA; ISBN 0 86299 467 5
and a booklet;
"Trajan's Army on Trajan's Column" Sir Ian Richmond 1982 pub: British School at Rome; ISBN 0 904152 05 7

The two Connolly boks referred to are an excellent introduction to the subject.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Flaminio wrote:
Quote:"Trajan's Column and Dacian Wars" by Lino Rossi is very useful

...while of some limited use, this rather old book is filled with many innacuracies, and should be treated with caution - it is really only useful to someone with considerable knowledge of the subject.

I would recommend:
"Trajan's Column" Frank Lepper and Sheppard Frere 1988 pub: Alan Sutton publishing inc, USA; ISBN 0 86299 467 5
and a booklet;
"Trajan's Army on Trajan's Column" Sir Ian Richmond 1982 pub: British School at Rome; ISBN 0 904152 05 7

The two Connolly boks referred to are an excellent introduction to the subject.

First time I hear that, even if it's old. Anyway it's a classic, and Rossi is one of the greatest expert on this subject.
Bob
Flaminio wrote:
Quote:First time I hear that, even if it's old. Anyway it's a classic, and Rossi is one of the greatest expert on this subject.

...I'm afraid not, his methods are flawed and much of what he says is simply wrong - to give but two examples, his drawings of shield designs are highly inaccurate - which means he didn't examine the column too closely, or else very carelessly; and his identifications of units taking part in the wars is just plain wrong in many places.....and there are dozens of other errors, which even an undergraduate wouldn't make..... Sad x

Everything Rossi says must therefore be cross-checked and cannot be relied on - therefore not for beginners on the subject, and of limited use.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Anyway it's a classic, and Rossi is one of the greatest expert on this subject.
Lino Rossi was apparently a pathologist based in Milan and an amateur enthusiast in Roman studies. (That doesn't make him a bad person! :wink: ) His book was groundbreaking because it was the first publication of photos of the spiral frieze from the ground, the viewpoint of the ordinary Roman in the street -- however, the images are poor, and everyone goes back to the Cichorius plates for the detail. Rossi's main idea was that army units could be identified by their shield blazons, an idea that has not met with much approval. (Michael Speidel has pointed out that, on this logic, their are 122 different Dacian units and 49 Roman legions on the Column!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Lino Rossi was apparently a pathologist based in Milan and an amateur enthusiast in Roman studies. (That doesn't make him a bad person! :wink: ) His book was groundbreaking because it was the first publication of photos of the spiral frieze from the ground, the viewpoint of the ordinary Roman in the street

Not quite, since the ordinary Roman did not have the benefit of a telephoto lens. His images might have been better if the postulated library balcony (however high it might have been) still existed, but it doesn't, so they weren't!

Quote:-- however, the images are poor, and everyone goes back to the Cichorius plates for the detail.

Not everybody, surely - some of us prefer Lehmann-Hartleben. Incidentally, Cichorius' personally annotated copy of his work is in private possession (the bookseller apparently didn't realise quite what he had)... but not that of The Good Dr Coulston (much to his chagrin).

For some reason I was always under the impression that Rossi was a dentist (don't ask me why, I have no idea) but he clearly had a distinguished career beyond long-lens photography of the TC.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 292 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Legions in Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign AureliusFalco 5 3,223 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Last Post: AureliusFalco
  Legions of Trajans Dacian wars marcus ulpius quadratus 17 12,076 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross