Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Julius Ceaser\'s last words actually "Et tu Brutus"?
I suppose it is well known that the last words of Gaius Julius Ceaser were "Et tu Brutus", meaning: "you too Brutus" (I think :? ). I read somewhere recently, where, I cannot remember, that this claim is actually incorrect, as the hierarchy in Rome spoke Greek to each other, not Latin. Apparently "Et tu Brutus" is the Latin translation given by a Roman historian of the original Greek words some 50 years later, and people started to quote "Et tu Brutus" instead.

Is this true, or is what I read incorrect? . If it is true, does anyone know the actual Greek spoken by Ceaser? Smile
Andrew Valentine

De Bello Gallico: <a class="postlink" href="http://members.optushome.com.au/valentined/dbg/index.html">http://members.optushome.com.au/valenti ... index.html
"Et tu Brute" is from Shakespeare and is identical to the "tu quoque" we find in a fourth-century source. Suetonius 82, our best source, says Caesar just sighed, but that some say he said "Kai su teknon", "You too, my child?" (??? ?? ??????Wink
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Awesome info Jona.

I did not know that the yspoke Greek to that extent, I was under the impression that it was a fashion, not a norm.
Thanks to you both for that info.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quick addition here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:I did not know that they spoke Greek to that extent, I was under the impression that it was a fashion, not a norm.

To speak Greek was one demonstration of having a good education among the upper classes. Several generations later Fronto wrote to Domitia Lucilla, the mother of Marcus Aurelius, in Greek to demonstrate that he recognised her as an educated lady. Marcus wrote to himself in the Meditations in Greek (although this may be due to some of the philosophical terminology), so he perhaps even thought to himself in Greek.

Good old Cicero takes a little shot at how some of his contemporaries used Greek.

Quote: I have sent you an account of my consulship written in Greek. If there is anything in it which to a genuine Attic like yourself seems to be un-Greek or unscholarly, I shall not say as Lucullus said to you (at Panhormus, was it not?) about his own history, that he had interspersed certain barbarisms and solecisms for the express purpose of proving that it was the work of a Roman. No, if there is anything of that sort in my book, it will be without my knowledge and against my will.

Cicero, Letters XXIV (A I, 19)
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Yes I had read that, I suppose I was just being a bit vacant there with my comment.
Just that it would have been used even in such circumstances as your dying moment, makes me rethink the whole issue
of how the likes of Caesar spoke and thought.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Just that it would have been used even in such circumstances as your dying moment, makes me rethink the whole issue of how the likes of Caesar spoke and thought.

I think that whole issue is fascinating. I've wished for a long time someone would do something like Inside the Medieval Mind for the Romans!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
wow, this information is fascinating. I really dislike how Shakespeare has shaped some views on history :evil: .
Andrew Valentine

De Bello Gallico: <a class="postlink" href="http://members.optushome.com.au/valentined/dbg/index.html">http://members.optushome.com.au/valenti ... index.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pseudo Seneca bust the image of Marcus Brutus? Julian de Vries 0 441 10-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries