Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
barbarian invasions
Yesterday I found in a used book market the Italian translation of "Les Invasion: les vague germaniques"<br>
by Lucien Musset, 1969, Presses Universitaires de France<br>
<br>
The book is "old" -in this field books just 30 years old might become obsolete because of new finds and techniques- so I am asking those of this forum if this author and this book is known. The reason I ask is that there is at least one thing that I am finding stimulating that is somewhat sweeping me off my feet. He makes the point that the germanic world was in motion for many more centuries than I originally thought. The Celtic culture had only momentarily halted it (actually advancing into germanic territory) and then later the roman expansion and empire held it momentarily at bay. In this view Rome and the Celts were in counter tendency! Tribes and peoples were moving about for various reasons (hostile neighbors, weather conditions, cultural forces). In particular central asian peoples pushed west for centuries and would continue to do so until the 13th century. So the well known german and gothic migration in the fourth century, under the pressure of the huns was simply another episode of a series that went back centuries, maybe much more. Eventually the Celtic and Roman counter pressure became weak, subsided and broke. I find this change of emphasis interesting as it also helps me get a unifying grasp of the invasion waves that continued for many centuries after 476 (my viewing the phenomenon as european and roman-centric was like looking thru a magniying glass; I was getting details but was missing completely the general pattern). <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I'm familiar only with his editing work in a book on the vikings in <i> Nordica et Normannica</i>. This book was published in '97, so I imagine if this is the same person, there is a revised edition of your book on the market with a later publication date.<br>
<br>
If the history contained in <i> Les Invasion: les vague germaniques</i> is still considered accurate, I doubt you'll find a reissue, and I congratulate you on your find. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>