Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some recent publications
Here's a couple on the Till-Steincheshof armguard:

Drechsler, M. 2012: 'Ein römischer Schienenarmschutz aus Messing', Der Limes 6, 2012.1, 8-11

Drechsler, M. 2012: 'Ein römischer Schienenarmschutz vom Steincheshof bei Till', Arch. Rheinland 2011. 25 Jahre Archäologie im Rheinland 1987-2011, 99-101

and then something by some bloke called Bishop on re-enactors and re-enactment ;-)

Bishop, M.C. 2013: 'Re-enactment and living history – issues about authenticity', in Mills, N. (ed.), Presenting the Romans. Interpreting the Frontiers of the Roman Empire World Heritage Site, Woodbridge, 23-30

(the title of the last is a tad dreich; my original was 'Is that thing sharp? Authenticity, re-enactment, and the Roman army' but hey, I only write the stuff...)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
EDIT: This got mis-interpreted as a negative comment.

Great stuff. I sure wish I could read it.
Presenting the Romans. Interpreting the Frontiers of the Roman Empire. Cheapest I found it was for 89.34 with free shipping
Won't be reading it anytime soon I guess. Alas I'll just have to depend on articles in Ancient Warfare magazine for now.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Yes very rude of people to publish stuff in their native language! All research on the Roman empire should be published only in the common language all should understand: Latin :evil: Humor aside when you try to read some archeology material in German it can be daunting as the discipline seems to have it's own set of vocabulary not easily understood by those not versed in the area.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Technical discussion in any language is daunting, not just German and sadly google translate is not man enough for the job :evil:

Luckily, I have some excellent language-blessed friends who are getting very used to archaeological and historical terms (particularly in an equine context).
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Presenting the Romans. Interpreting the Frontiers of the Roman Empire. Cheapest I found it was for 89.34 with free shipping
Won't be reading it anytime soon I guess. Alas I'll just have to depend on articles in Ancient Warfare magazine for now.
Well, you have my sympathy, for if I didn't have an article in it (and thereby get a freebie, in lieu of anything I can eat, drink, or spend on other books) I wouldn't be able to afford it either. There is, I gather, a possibility that it will appear as a paperback. As for AW, I can't afford that either, these days...

Mike Bishop

Good thing I know good enough German,,,
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Cheapest I found it was for 89.34 with free shipping

There is a copy on Amazon UK now for around £55.

It seems to feature an old Alan Sorrell illustration on the cover and another by someone else which I can not make out. Mike ,does it feature much discussion on reconstruction paintings?

Did you get my email? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Mike ,does it feature much discussion on reconstruction paintings?
Susan Greaney has a paper in it, 'Reconstruction Drawings: Illustrating the Evidence'. Haven't had a chance to do anything but flick through yet (see below).

Quote:Did you get my email? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.
Sorry, just got back from the Wall and I have a ton of emails to work through. Will get to yours eventually ;-)

Mike Bishop

Thanks Mike.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.