Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Museums in Europe
This is bound to have been done before, so is there a list of the museums and locations specifically about Romans anywhere?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
There was a thread started by someone going on holiday to Europe from USA (I think) and wanted to know which were the best museums. I'll see if I can find it, but that would be a start.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi
I faintly remembered 2 threads touching that subject --- may be outdated by now
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-mi...urope.html
and
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-mi...rmany.html
.... that's what I found swiftly. There may be other threads about that subject.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
This one is more of a question to the community at large rather than an answer to the thread, but could RAT be used as a host for a Wikipedia-type directory?

A fairly standardised format could be set-up (Museum name, country, region, link to museum website, areas of relevance to RAT, charges/gift shop etc, as well as a free-form section on "tips" - e.g. museum closed Mondays, "Information in Spanish, English & French" or "closed for restoration when I visited in Spring 2012" etc, and users could contribute sites and edit to add their insights, building a directory gradually.

I do tend to keep reasonable holiday diaries of sites I visit on the European mainland as well as being familiar with lots of UK sites, and I am sure there is a mine of information in RATers' collective heads.

It could also be extended to cover worthwhile archaeological sites without museums.

Any thoughts anyone? Could RAT host "Wiki-museum-directory" (and can anyone think of a better name)?

John