Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea
I agree with you, Marcellus. I respectfully disagree, Crispvs, with your assessment that the blood was a simile. The Biblia Sacra Vulgata records Luke 22:44 as "et factus est sudor eius sicut guttae sanguinis decurrentis in terram ", which translates to be "and His sweat became as drops of blood down on the ground" It doesn't seem to suggest a non-literal reading to me.

GJC: Note that the Jewish leaders report that "HE SAID HE WAS the King of the jews". That other people reported His word does not mean necessarily that they were making it up or that He did not say it. No offense intended.

Crispvs, you're right, we don't necessarily know for sure. The Lucas mentioned by Paul could be another. It was not a unique name. But I think Luke was a doctor, based on the same Colossians verse, and Luke's methodical, orderly writing style in his Gospel and Acts.

As previously stated, the upright was likely already in the ground, and firmly anchored, or perhaps a tree that had been modified for crucifixion use. It's just too difficult to manage the weight of the man and the wood and secure it so it stands upright and won't fall over. We've tried several ways for the stage, and none of them makes it practical to lift a man from horizontal to vertical. Of course, we are very concerned about the safety of the crucified, while the Romans weren't. ;-)

The condemned generally carried the crossbar, or patibulum (cross-bar), which was then affixed to the stipes (the vertical pole). See here for one of the several explanations of how this was done: http://www.scionofzion.com/cross_of_christ.htm

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ULGATE;ESV
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 01-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by M. Demetrius - 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - by Jay - 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D B Campbell The Roman Army in Detail: The Problem of the First Cohort Julian de Vries 30 8,984 06-14-2017, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  Xanten gates-need info with more detail Arahne 2 1,408 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis