Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antonine auxiliary soldier\'s kit
I've decided to start putting my Roman kit together this year and had a few questions that I thought I'd post on here. I've been reenacting various eras from about eight years old, so I'm not new to the idea of reenactment. I've also been following RAT for a couple of years now.

I've checked the units in my area and they're not really what I'm going for (Legio XXX is the closest I think, and I'm not interested in a legionary impression). I've wanted to do an auxiliary impression for a while now, and I've pick a unit and a time frame. I decided I'd go with Cohors Primae Nervana Germanorum, who were stationed in Britian from 122-158 CE for sure (that's the two dates I have from the two military diplomas I know of). So, I have a location and a time frame that I want to portray; I'm just trying to fill in some of the details. This is what I have in mind so far:

Italic G helmet
Mail armor (no shoulder doubling)
Thorsberg tunic and trousers (I think this is okay, but I'm not sure about the trousers)
Belt with openwork plates (I'm not sure whether or not it should have an apron by this date)
Zwammerdam boots

I've made an oval shield (40"x23", based on some info from RAT), but I'm not sure what design would be correct. I picked one from Trajan's Column, but wasn't sure if this was too early.

I was also thinking of going with a long contus spear. I have a shaft already that measures 9ft long; I just need to get a spearhead and butt spike.

The only thing I'm not really sure about would be the sword. I originally thought about a Pompeii gladius but have since become confused and uncertain. It seems like a ring pommel sword or a spatha would be better for this timeframe. Is this correct?

I hope I haven't asked too many questions for my first post. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Adam Oswalt
Adam Oswalt

[url:30lkyohr]http://www.harja150ad.livejournal.com[/url]
Personally, the only item I would question is the use of the contus?
I could be wrong but I am guessing a regular hasta would be adequate? Even for a horseman.
But I am sure there are others who can point you in the right direction for sure.
Good luck on your impression!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would suggest you to have a look at Bishop & Coulston - Roman military equipment - 2nd edition. Most general knowledge of different time periods is in there.

All their figures are online here:
[url:2jkskb3g]http://www.romanmilitaryequipment.co.uk/figures.htm[/url]

It's not my period of knowledge, but I would go for a spathe (with or without ring pommel). On the other questions I don't have enough knowledge to say anything useful, expect for your shield design. The notitia dignitatum is of much later date, the trajans column is earlier. But you have to do it with the sources we have. So, unless there is some special depiction of your particulairy unit with shield design, I would say Trajans column is fine for shield design.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you for your replies. It's good to know I'm on the right track. RAT is definitely a great tool for knowledge. It's good to see people with the expertise who are not afraid to share information.

Jurjen, thanks for the reassurance on the shield design. Those were my thoughts, but I wasn't sure if later images were available (outside of the ND and later period shields). The RME2 images are actually where I got the idea that I should look into a spatha. They've been invaluable for ideas, although I should probably get a copy of the book soon.

Byron, I will reconsider the contus. My original thought was a spear with a shaft between 7' and 9' (based on the shafts from Illerup, if my memory's correct), but not exceding 9 feet total length (that's all that'll fit in my car). I originally called it a contus based on Robert Veermat's conclusions in his article on the Fectio site, perhaps a poor choice in wording. I will consider a smaller spear though.

Thank you again.

Adam Oswalt
Adam Oswalt

Well no, possibly it's my stereotyical image of the Kontos as used by a catephract.....
7' - 9' seems reasonable. Personally I would like the 7' for a hasta. 9' if I was doing a hoplite impression tho'! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The RME2 images are actually where I got the idea that I should look into a spatha. They've been invaluable for ideas, although I should probably get a copy of the book soon.

Indeed getting a copy of B&C2 (as we use to refer to it) is no waste of money at all.
ALA I BATAVORUM
here's my impression of an Antonine auxiliary soldier... Second photo.

Italic G helmet, manica, greaves narrow trompettenmuster belt...
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=232165#p232165">viewtopic.php?p=232165#p232165<!-- l
Thanks for the photos Peroni; it's great inspiration. I need to get back to work on my kit; unfortunately, the real world keeps pulling me away from it. By the way, I have to say that the Theilenhofen helmet I purchased is awesome. Can't wait to wear it in the field.

Adam Oswalt
Adam Oswalt