Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman double serpent symbolism
Yes, I don't know of too many snakes with ears. Seen a few wolves with them though.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, been googling around the internet here.

The origin of the Greek/ Russian orthodox double serpent crozier seems to have been an adaptation of a pagan symbol, the caduceus. This was the staff of Hermes, as seen in this painting from Pompeii.
[Image: F11.2Hermes.jpg]
and this coin of Tiberius
[Image: tiberius_drususcoin.jpg]

The caduceus is typically depicted as a short herald's staff entwined by two serpents in the form of a double helix, and is sometimes surmounted by wings. This staff was first borne by Iris, the messenger of Hera. It was also called the wand of Hermes when he superseded Iris in much later myths.

In later Antiquity the caduceus might have provided the basis for the astrological symbol representing the planet Mercury and in Roman iconography was often depicted being carried in the left hand of Mercury, the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars and thieves. (Arguably, this is a pretty dodgy choice of crozier for a bishop, but there you go..... :roll: )

The caduceus is sometimes wrongly used as a symbol for medicine due to confusion with the traditional medical symbol, the rod of Asclepius, which has only a single snake and no wings.

The pagan symbol seems to have been adopted by the early Christian church, with the fairly skimpy justification being from the story of Moses and the bronze serpent in Numbers.

"8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole; and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived."

So a classic adaptation of a pagan classical symbol by the church, with a cross added in the middle in some examples to move it away from its pagan origins.

Is the Notitia Dignitatum linked to this as a religious symbol? Possibly, but not proveable. Given the protective nature of a shield, any extra divine protection would be welcome.

And most armies I've known have their own collection of gamblers, liars and thieves who need all the protection they can find!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Nope .... definately a Thulsa Doom device! :wink:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are double grip Roman shields real? PMBardunias 12 3,931 01-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias