Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Persian Army Found?
If accurate, and if this leads to a major find, this could be quite useful for us 500BC reenactors!

[url:381gtnzs]http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/cambyses-army-remains-sahara.html?dtc=dsc-hp-drl-dn-news[/url]

Anyone else seen anything on this?
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
It's quite remarkable, isn't it? I'm eager for more information.

There is an existing thread here: 2,500 year old Persian army found.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I'm afraid that it's bunkum lads.

Dr Zahi Hawass has clealry highlighted the "find" as a complete beat-up. The brothers head no approved archaeological expedition and "anything they claim is not to be believed". Perhaps they need to be renamed the Brothers von Daniken?

In any case, what does this say about Herodotus or the Lybiabs? It only took some 1,700,000 to fail in Greece!
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
C'est dommage! I wondered why, with 50K dead, all they had was a sword and some earrings...

People need a license to dig in Egypt? :wink:
Given the rapine and pillaging that characterised some of the "archaeological" digs of the past in Egypt, I'm not surprised a "license" is required. I'm sure the Supreme Council of Antiquities monitors all such activity closely nowadays.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Sorry, my sarcasm was lost in e-space. I agree....
Dr. Zahi Hawass......

The man who claims to have found the grave of Marcvs Antonivs and as proof he has some tiny tiny figurine heads........

The man who identified Hatsjepsut on the basis that some tooth found in some case carrying the Glyph of the great queen was a perfect fit with some other mummy of a woman they also had in storage somewhere.....

And you think his ideas on this Cambyses story are authoritative?

The army is there somewhere, wether or not these two Italians claim to have found it or not.

Hawass is simply jealous.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Dr. Zahi Hawass...... The man who claims to have found the grave of Marcvs Antonivs and as proof he has some tiny tiny figurine heads........
To be fair: it's not his claim, but the claim of an archaeologist from one of the Caribean isles. He has acted as her mouthpiece, as he always does: he is the one who announces the finds made by other archaeologists. it is not his task to endorse or contradict those claims.
Quote:Hawass is simply jealous.
That is certainly possible, and in the postscript to my own piece on the subject (here), I have mentioned the possibility that he was mudslinging.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
As always Jona, great article and good view on the matter, especially the idea that many Persians must have gotten in trouble in the Aegyptian deserts.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Very good blog, nice article, and all I can say in my own defense is that I merely wish for an army of 525 BC Greek mercenaries to appear out of the desert--or perhaps just two or three. Textiles preserved, please.
Quote:I merely wish for an army of 525 BC Greek mercenaries to appear out of the desert
Yup, so do I. If only because I find it so hard to believe that the Persians were so lightly armed as is always said. And I also hope they will have a copy of some Persian literature with them... :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Ooh! I agree! And some more Alcaeus and Sappho, please.

In fact, I'll just start compiling a list....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Papers on the Persian Army antiochus 7 2,110 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,040 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Persian trireme found? Giannis K. Hoplite 7 2,525 04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest